22.Cínnamon roll

"Shortcake."

I sipped the fruit cocktail a passing waiter had offered me.

"Did you get the text I sent you last night?"

Don't remind me. I was already regretting giving you my number.

"Why didn't you reply?"

Be grateful, I didn't block you.

He had sent me a text saying 'Happy Birthday, shortcake' at exactly 12:01 am last night.

I didn't have his number, but the annoying nickname didn't leave much for guessing either.

"Shortcake, are you ignoring me?"

Damn, it took him that long to realize?

"You look pretty today."

"You mean it?" I eyed him suspiciously.

"Ha! I knew that would make you talk." He said, punching his chest to show just how proud he was of his accomplishment.

"So you didn't mean it?"

"Of course not!" He quickly denied it. Too quick, if you ask me.

"Say, Ethan, you are Eve's childhood friend, right?" I asked, observing my siblings as they socialized with all the guests.

"Yes. Childhood sweethearts to be more exact." He lied for no reason. Eve had a crush on the debate club president, Marco. It was common knowledge to everyone except the individual involved.

"Were all her birthdays celebrated with this much grandeur?" The venue was luxurious on its own. Add that with the majestic decorations and no one could guess it was someone's 17th birthday celebration. It looked more like a royal ceremony.

"More or less, yeah." He answered. "Where were you all these years?"

"Mental asylum." I revelled at the sight of his wide eyes. "Isn't that what you have been telling everyone in school?"

"Don't be so dramatic. I only told Aiden that." He rolled his eyes at my exaggeration.

And that's any different, how? You practically ruined my chances with him.

"Aylin!" I heard someone calling me. I looked in the direction of the voice to find Jordan approaching me.

"Happy Birthday!" He smiled at me.

"Thanks," I smiled back.

We chatted for a while and Jordan even gave me a chocolate bar. Ethan had left to join Eve and their friends on the other side of the hall. I felt a little bad, he was annoying as hell but somehow, I still liked his company.

"Why do you look like you want to be anywhere but here?" Jordan asked taking out another chocolate bar from his suit pocket. I had already finished the first one.

"Because I don't want to be here." I blurted out. "I hate Stephen so much for forcing me to attend."

"Maybe he's doing it for your own good."

Of course, you are going to defend your friend.

"What could I possibly gain from coming here?" I decided to indulge him.

"A good reputation." Jordan shrugged. His casual tone was getting under my skin.

"Care to explain?" I didn't want to eat the chocolate he gave me anymore. I wanted to throw it in the dustbin.

"You are the youngest princess of the Black Empire. It makes you more special than you know." Jordan disclosed.

Me? Special? Even the voices in my head were laughing.

"When you disappeared nine years ago, people started asking questions about your whereabouts. Your father took dire measures to mold the public opinion in his favor."

"What did he do?" I asked already knowing whatever it was, it wasn't in my Favour.

"He told the press you were mentally unstable. Keeping you in the society would be a threat to everyone and how with a heavy heart he had to send you away."

"And Stephen let him do that?"

"Your father was a very powerful man, Aylin."

"And the people? Do they still believe what my father said?" I asked.

"Even a lie becomes the truth if said for long enough."

I understood what he meant. Stephen was trying to clear the 'rumors' circulating around me. That would explain why he had been dragging me around to greet people since the party started.

But would seeing me here really be enough to erase the last nine years from people's minds? I don't think so.

Or maybe that wasn't what Stephen was aiming for in the first place.

"I don't see how me being here will help eradicating my father's claims." I voiced out.

"It won't. He can't refute the past. Not after all these years of staying silent."

"So, what's the point?" I asked, frustrated. Why did it feel like we were going in circles?

"He can't change the past, but he can pave the future for you."

"Isn't it more important what people think of you now rather than what they used to?" Jordan left after saying that, giving me something to think about.

So, what he's trying to do is show the world I'm not crazy?

I felt a little grateful to him.

I don't want to be labelled as unstable.

... ... ...

"What do you mean he is back?"

"It's true. I confirmed it."

"Does he know she's here?"

"No."

I heard a snippet of a conversation between Ezra and Stephen. After Jordan left, I thought about it and decided to be more cooperative.

Which is why I had approached Ezra and Stephen, but they seemed to be engaged in a secret conversation in a secluded corner. It was enough to arouse my curiosity.

I hid behind a pillar to hear the rest of their conversation but two minutes into my mission and my cover was blown.

"Lin-lin!"

I sighed in relief when none of my brothers heard Iris. I signaled her to keep quiet, but she didn't seem to get the hint.

"Lin-lin, why are hiding behind the pillar?" She shouted, louder than before.

"Aylin?" Ezra looked around until he spotted me. "Are you eavesdropping on us?"

"No?" It came out more like a question than a statement.

"She's looking for me," I pointed to Iris and quickly moved from their sight before Stephen could open his mouth to reprimand me.

Once I went back to the main hall with Iris, I chatted with her for a while. Ezra had officially introduced her to all my siblings.

I was happy they were taking another step forward in their relationship. Having Iris as my sister-in-law wouldn't be bad.

"Iris, how do I ask a guy out?" I asked even though I doubt she would know considering the fact she never had to ask someone out.

"Stomach is the way to the heart." Iris advised wisely. " Make something sweet for him. After he lets his guard down, just go for it."

"How did Ezra ask you out?" Ezra seemed like a romantic guy. I expect a big gesture where he gets down on one knee and sang a song for her.

Iris's mood turned sour at my question, "In the middle of a six-hour long surgery."

I would have expected something so dull like that from Stephen. Ezra sure knows how to disappoint.

Speaking of Stephen, none of my siblings other than Ezra had given me any presents. I was hoping for one from Kai at least.

'Told you, they don't care.'

In times like this, I hate that I'm still hoping.