21.Lemon

I was pacing around my room contemplating what I should do next.

Should I apologize?

But I wasn't wrong. Maybe the disrespect was uncalled for but I refuse to take all the blame. They shouldn't have tried to force me to go to the party in the first place.

Knowing Stephen, he would get an apology out of me one way or another.

I should just give in, I decided.

But my mind didn't seem to agree with me when Stephen came into my room without even knocking.

"Do you have something to tell me?" I knew Stephen was giving me a chance to apologize for the stunt I just pulled.

This is my chance. I should accept this olive branch.

But I didn't.

"No."

"I see," Stephen's face hardened.

"Resign from your job tomorrow."

"You can't force me."

"If you don't resign on your own then I will just have to fire you."

"You are not the owner." An elderly couple owned it. I made sure it wasn't one of his subsidiaries before starting work there.

"All it takes is a phone call." Stephen looked at me like he couldn't believe my naivety. "You underestimate me, sweetheart."

"You can't do that to me!" I protested; I can't lose this job.

"I can," Stephen assured, "And I will."

I knew he wasn't joking. He would go through his threat.

"I'm sorry," I hurriedly apologized, "I shouldn't have done that. But please don't make me leave my job."

Stephen thought for a while whether or not he should cut me some slack, "What are you apologizing for?"

'For telling the truth your pathetic self couldn't handle.'

"For disrespecting you." I gave in and continued when he didn't look pleased, "For disobeying you when you told me to go to my room."

"Good." He nodded, satisfied I accepted my mistakes.

"Aylin, I need you to understand, I am not against you speaking your mind. What you said was absolutely true. I had never before intervened in the times you needed me. And believe me when I say there's not a day that goes by and I don't regret my decisions."

"But that doesn't and will not give you a free pass to disrespect your elder brothers. I hope I made myself clear."

All he cares about is respect. But had he ever taken the time to think whether or not he really deserves it?

"Yes, I understand," I stated. "Does that mean I can continue working there?"

"No." Stephen's one word broke all my hope. "I warned you the first day I would punish you if you ever crossed me."

I do vaguely remember him giving me a speech about discipline.

"Can't you just give me another punishment? I really like working there." I pleaded. At my words, Stephen smirked as if he was waiting for me to say those words.

"Attend the party tomorrow evening." It didn't even take him a second to think about it. Was that what he was aiming for from the start?

Was he really going to adopt blackmailing for that?

Why were they so adamant about making me go to the party anyway?

... ... ...