40.Für Elise

S T E P H E N Z O

"Did you meet her on the way?" I asked Zane.

Zane was my cousin from my father's side and also one of the best psychologists the world knew.

"I did," He nodded, his eyes focused on the video playing before him. "She resembles Aunt Selene."

I smiled, agreeing with him. She looked the exact carbon copy of Mama. Just a bit shorter and her cheeks chubbier than Mama.

Which made her even cuter.

"So, what do you think?" I asked once he finished watching all the videos in the file.

I had seen them all as well after returning home. More than half of them were of Aylin getting tortured.

"I think you made a mistake." Zane responded. He took off his spectacles and proceeded to wipe it with a handkerchief.

"What do you mean?" I have done so many mistakes regarding her that I didn't know exactly which one he was talking about.

"Forcing her to open up by beating Kai?" He scoffed in disbelief. "Have you lost your mind?"

I had told him everything that had transpired in the past three months, not leaving the slightest detail out.

"What else was I supposed to do? Sit there and watch her hurting inside?" I defended. "She wouldn't talk to me in any other way. I tried everything!"

"And why do you think she is so unwilling to share her issues with you?" He shot back.

"If I'm not wrong she willingly showed her scars to Ezra's ex-girlfriend." Zane added.

"That's because she wanted to buy off Iris's silence about the anti-psychotics." I told him.

"You are still not getting it, Stephen." He sighed.

"Regardless of her intentions, she trusted Iris enough to keep her secret." He pointed out. "And she doesn't trust you leading her to continuosly lie about it."

"Forcing her to open up when she wasn't ready only pushed her further away from you. Before, you at least had a chance but now I highly doubt she will ever consider sharing her thoughts with you."

I took a deep breath, processing everything Zane just said.

While I thought I had taken a step forward in breaking her walls, I had actually taken ten steps backward.

Fucking Idiot.

Why couldn't I wait a little longer instead of forcing her at the expense of Kai?

"What do I do now?" I focused on the more important question. It was pointless getting hung up on what I can't change.

"You don't really have much options in your hand." He stated.

"I think you should admit her to a psychiatric hospital. She needs professional help right now." He added.

"No." I refused, I didn't even need to think about it. I was not sending her anywhere. Period.

"Think it through, Stephen. She's not stable." Zane said, showing me some pamphlets he took out from his suitcase. "You will still be able to meet her on regular basis. But right now she needs to be in a professional environment that knows how to help her."

"No." I shook my head, my decision already made.

"You saw what the voices did to Uncle Alejandro." He reminded. "Do you really want the history to repeat itself?"