5.The Greater Good

A L E J A N D R O

I closed my eyes, trying to calm the fury running through my veins.

Why I hadn't killed that monster yet was beyond me.

And with each passing day I allowed her to live she became more troublesome.

My frustration had reached its peak when now I had to even hold a celebratory banquet for her, for killing her mother.

A knock sounded on my door and I wondered who'd come to meet me. I had already handed most of the company works to Stephen and I rarely came to the office.

And when I did, I made sure no one would bother me.

"Come in."

When I saw who the intruder was, I knew my day was officially ruined.

"Robert." I greeted, regardless. Even though I didn't like the man I couldn't refute he was wealthy and had enough power to deserve my time of the day.

"Alejandro, long time no see." He smirked, his eyes glinting with malice. "How's everything going for you?"

"Just cut to the chase already." I interrupted, not sure I had the presence to hear any more of his bullshit.

"This is an acquaintance of mine," he gestured to the man that had walked in after him.

"Azazel." The man provided.

"Alejandro." I nodded. I liked the man for some reason. He looked like he was destined for great things despite his young age.

He carried himself well, he was tall, barely in his mid twenties. His short curly black hair would cover his eyes if not for the sunglasses already hooding them.

"What do you want?"

"To make a deal with you." Azazel responded, taking off his sunglasses in the process. "To offer you a proposition."

"How did you lose your eye?" I asked instead. He had a contrasting pair of eyes, one black and the other made of glass. But somehow the glass one had more emotions than the real one.

"My sister gauged it out." He answered calmly. "With her bare hands." The corners of his lips lifted a little as if recalling a particularly happy memory.

'At least now, we can safely conclude that the guy is batshit crazy.'

"What about the scar?" I inquired, gesturing to the big scar that ran through his synthetic eye.

He narrowed his eyes, annoyance flickering in them for a moment.

"She missed the first time." He answered regardless.

"What's the deal?" I asked, liking his honesty.

"We want your youngest daughter." He went straight to the point. "Aylin Black."

"Why?"

"Intelligence, we value it." He shared. "And she seems to have a lot of it."

"And how would you know that?"

When he simply shrugged in return, I turned to Robert, the pieces joining together. "You planted spies in my house?"

"That's despicable, Robert." I snickered in distaste. "Even for you."

"Intel is valuable." Azazel decided to come to his rescue. "The means to gain it doesn't matter."

"What exactly do you need her for?"

Opening the briefcase he was carrying, he fished out a couple of documents before handing it to me.

"I work for a research institution." Azazel informed. "We scout children with high intellect all over the globe. Children with no family, to be more precise."