16.Hamburger

Turning to the side, I stared out the window. The curtains were pushed to the side, giving me a clear view of the sky.

It was raining.

I hated rain. Mostly because it would often be followed by thunderstorms.

I watched as the light struck outside, brightening my room for a second.

I clasped my hands against my ears, preparing for the loud noise that would surely follow.

I was more than glad that light flashed before, giving me more than enough time to prepare myself for the heaven-shaking thunder.

Throwing the blanket to the side, I jumped down from my bed, my actions swift so I would be able to get out of there before the next lightning struck.

I almost made it to the door when I realized I had forgotten the fluffy bear in my bed.

Ezra had gifted it to me. He told me the teddy bear reminded him of me; warm and cuddly.

I was so happy that I promised I would take care of the fluffy bear and protect it, always.

And even though I knew if I went back for it, I would be too late, I still did because Kai says we can't break promises. Ever.

Thunder struck again, making me clutch the fluffy bear tighter against me.

"I'm sorry." I apologized, realizing how selfish I was being to even consider leaving it alone.

"We'll make it. Don't worry." I assured, doubting my own words the very next second.

Opening my door slightly, I peeked outside, my eyes meeting with nothing but darkness.

The hallway was dark, with ghosts lurking in the corners, waiting for the moment I would step into their territory and they would drag me to eternal darkness.

I didn't believe in ghosts. But Noah swore he saw one last week. He even had a bruise on his hand to prove his claim.

Taking a deep breath, I shut my eyes tightly. If I can't see them, they can't see me either, right?

With my eyes still closed, I blindly sprinted to Kai's room, knowing his warm embrace would take away all my nightmares in an instant.

Pushing his door open, I sighed in relief that I had managed to outrun the ghosts.

Kai was soundly sleeping, not the least bit affected by the thunderstorm outside. I wondered how he did that, so oblivious to the outside world.

Careful not to wake him up, I slowly climbed on top of his bed and lay down right beside him.

His eyes shot open in alarm, relief washing through them the next moment when he saw it was just me.

"Lili?" He mumbled, reaching out his hand to pull me closer.

"Did I wake you up?" I asked, remorseful. I didn't want to interrupt his sleep.

"No, you didn't." He consoled. "Why are you here?" He asked gently.

"I was scared."

"Because of the rain?"

"Mhmm." I nodded, even though I knew he can't see me as his eyes were closed.

"Sleep," He soothed, running his hands through my hair. "I'm here now."

Placing my head on his chest, I looked out his window.