Lackey - 14

Art's POV:

The car engine starts and the car begins to rumble so I check to make sure Zen is buckled which he is. Driving out of our driveway I know Zen already knows where I'm going, but first I wanna get him snacks.

We head to the nearest convince store and continue on our way.  My brother had picked out his own snacks which consisted of a small bag of chips, flavored water, and some fruity rope candy. For me, I choose gummy worms, a small bag of chips as well, and a monster. We even got a large bag of another chip flavor to share along with a pack of cookies and a 2-liter fruit punch.

Today was gonna be our day. We were gonna do what we want, get what we want, go where we want. The weather was warm. It was the kind of weather that was okay with a jacket but okay without one. The sky was just perfect. There were just enough clouds so the floor of the earth shined bright but there was still some shade here and there.

There weren't many people driving out on the streets. We left around the time most people would already be at work. There were a few cars here and there passing and going, but we didn't care about those people and didn't question where they were going. We didn't bet on what job they worked on like we always did.

No none of that. We were eating our snacks, drinking our drinks, blasting music with windows down, and living. Zen's hair was a bit longer than mine so we kept laughing about how much he was getting slapped by his own hair but we were having fun.

It took us maybe 10 minutes from the convenience store to arrive at a park. The park was empty and rusting. It's a park that's being forgotten. My family has a strong attachment to this park. Especially me and Zen. We did a lot of our firsts here together. Going to the hospital cause of a broken bone, falling off the jungle gym, climbing up the slide, eating the dirt, swinging, chasing, hiding, counting.

My sister was more of the one who would steal mom and dad's books to read on the bench next to mom while dad would chase me and Zen.

This is where we go when we are stressed but never alone. Always together.

We grabbed our snacks from the car and headed to a spinner. Its paint was chipped but you could still see the original colors it once was. Sitting on the edge we swayed back and forth. We would dig in each other's bags of chips to snatch a few and steal sips of each other's drink.

I lay back onto the chips of paint and metal and close my eyes while Zen leans on a bar. My feet dangle just above the ground and Zen spins us slowly for a nice vibe. We chill there and finish our singular snacks as the wind picks up a little.

Being our younger self was such a stress reliever for both of us. It's been a little while since we had to do this, but it was nice.

As we were picking up a little bit more speed my phone wrung. I struggled to pull it out of my pocket that was in my coat under me but I got it eventually. The name on the screen read, 'Kai'. causing a big smile across my face.

I answered the call and in a low voice I spoke, "Hey..."