~7: Amethyst~

We ran into little trouble on our way to Hoshido. Takumi stayed quiet on the trip, thankfully. Besides that, there were a few brigands who tried to pick a fight, but we scared them off.

When we finally reached Hoshido, the townspeople were ready and cheering. I gave them a nervous smile and waved before leaning into Azura. She reached back and took my hand, squeezing it.

"We're almost there," she reassured.

I rested my head on her shoulder, sighing as I did so.

Hinoka's pegasus landed in front of us, then slowed to a walk next to us.

"Is Amethyst alright?" Hinoka asked.

I nodded, pushing away from Azura.

"Just tired," I responded.

She nodded, though it looked like she wasn't convinced.

We reached the castle, and I jumped out of the saddle. Ryoma normally waited for us at the front, but it looked like he wasn't here. Instead, Kagero stood in the shadows, waiting.

"Where's Ryoma?" Hinoka asked as she climbed down.

"Soldiers spotted Faceless in the fields. Lord Ryoma headed out to assess the situation with Saizo."

Hinoka frowned before glancing behind us.

"Wouldn't we have seen them, then?"

"We did," Takumi responded.

"But we didn't see him!" Sakura insisted.

He shrugged, then turned and walked into the castle. Hinoka let out a sigh, then glanced at me.

"We'll head out, then. Mey, do you want to rest, or come with us?" she asked.

I looked at Azura, who took my hand again.

"Either choice is alright," she whispered.

I clenched my other fist, then sighed.

"I'll go. It can't hurt to help. Besides, we're just scouting, right?"

Hinoka shrugged, then stopped next to her pegasus. Sakura followed, and they mounted. Subaki joined us on his pegasus. Azura and I climbed back on our horse, with Silas beside us.

"Ready?" Hinoka asked.

I nodded, gripping the hilt of my sword. Silas handed Azura a lance as she clung to the reins.

"Let's head out, then."

The two pegasi took flight, while our two horses took off out the gates.

It didn't take long before we found the group of soldiers standing around Ryoma. We stopped by them before dismounting. The soldiers parted, revealing Ryoma and Saizo looking out over the field.

"Big brother!" Sakura called.

He turned, then smiled when he saw us.

"It's good to see you all. But why are you here?" he asked.

"Kagero told us what's going on," Hinoka replied.

He nodded, then looked back to the field. I followed his gaze and found soldiers already fighting the Faceless.

"It's odd. They all appeared randomly. I thought we got all the Faceless just months ago."

"We did-" I started.

"Yes, we did. Right before everything settled," Subaki added.

I bit my lip as I watched Faceless fight the Hoshidan soldiers. I shuddered, then looked away.

"Maybe there's still Nohrian mages creating them? We could have missed some back when we gathered them."

"That may be true, but Xander confirmed we had all of them-"

"And he wouldn't lie about that. Xander of all people, would know. He worked with them the most."

Ryoma turned to thank me for my confirmation, when the soldiers fighting cried out. He turned, then took off with Saizo after him.

"Ryoma, wait!" Hinoka called.

Subaki pulled Sakura behind him, and Azura, Hinoka, and I took off after Ryoma. I pulled out my sword and continued toward the Faceless. My dragon stone stayed hidden away under my armor, just in case I needed it.

We ran into the middle of the battle and started fighting away at the Faceless. I felt a chill settle in my chest, but tried my hardest to fight it away. Azura stayed close by, just in case anything happened.

I sliced and hacked away at Faceless, making my way through them, until I reached the edge. The rest of the Faceless ignored me, instead charging for the others. I glanced around, but couldn't spot anyone nearby. I frowned before I spotted movement nearby. I looked over and jumped back.

"Amethyst?"

I blinked, and whatever was there was gone. Instead, Azura came to a stop at my side.

"I thought I saw something," I muttered.

I shook my head and turned back to the Faceless. Before I could raise my sword, pain rushed through my spine, and I fell.

"Amethyst!"

Azura knelt next to me, placing a hand on my back. A few Faceless fell nearby, and Ryoma emerged from the crowd. He saw us, then stopped by.

"Is she alright?" he asked.

"I- I'm fine."

I pushed to my feet, shoving the pain off.

"I'll be fine," I muttered.

Azura didn't look convinced, and Ryoma kept the worried look on his face.

"Let's just finish off the Faceless."

Ryoma nodded, then took off. Azura stopped before I could follow. I looked back at her.

"You don't need to push yourself, Mey. It's alright if you can't fight anymore."

I looked away and nodded weakly. Azura waved Silas over, and he stopped his horse by us.

"Take Amethyst back to the castle and have her rest."

"Yes, Lady Azura!"

Silas helped me up behind him, then we turned and started for the castle. I looked back and saw Azura head back into the crowd to help. Something moved by the trees again, but I couldn't make out what it was as we continued away. I shrugged it off and turned forward.

~ * ~