~26: Leo~

Elise sighed behind me as she rested her head on my back. I flipped the page of my book, glancing at the path ahead of us.

Saizo had gone to give the all clear, and we were waiting for the rest of the group to arrive.

I turned my attention back to my book as Niles leaned against my leg.

"There's Lady Mey," he said.

My eyes moved to the path. Saizo walked beside a horse, which carried Amethyst and Silas. A few of the retainers followed behind them before the rest of the group joined.

Xander came forward before he handed Amethyst a map. She opened it, then bit her lip.

Silas pointed at a spot from around her arm, and she sighed.

"... there's no other way?"

"It's not that we can't go another way, it's much faster. And we're already headed there."

"You'll just have to carry me across..."

"That's not a problem. We understand it's a difficult place for you to be... we just didn't think about it until after-"

"It's fine. We just need to get there."

Xander frowned as Amethyst rolled the map, then handed it back.

Azura urged her horse forward as they reached us. Elise lifted her head from my back, looking at the others.

"Are you ready to keep going?" Azura asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be..." Amethyst trailed off before sighing. "Let's just get as close as we can."

She urged her horse forward, and the others followed. I moved my horse next to Xander's as we moved down the path.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"We'll be crossing the Bottomless Canyon tomorrow. Ryoma and I didn't consider how Amethyst would react when we cross. She says it's fine, but I don't believe she's being honest."

"She probably doesn't want to make it difficult for the rest of us."

Xander glanced at Elise, his frown deepening.

"Yes, it seems to be that way."

He looked back at Amethyst as Azura stayed next to her.

Beruka's wyvern flew over us, with Camilla close behind.

"It seems like things have only gotten more difficult since the war ended," I said.

"I will admit, ruling over a kingdom is difficult. We're in a trial period, I guess you could say. But that's why we keep going, and find what works for us."

My gaze landed on the front of the group as Azura slowed down to join us.

"She's trying to block out her emotions," she said.

"But last time-"

Azura nodded, giving Elise a grim look.

"I'm not sure what I can do to help her. If she transforms and loses control, she'll hurt herself more."

"Would Leo help?"

"How could I help?"

"That's not a bad idea..."

"But how would I help?"

Our horses stopped, and Elise climbed up behind Xander. Azura placed a hand on my shoulder, grabbing my attention.

"Just try talking to her, and comfort her however you can."

My brows furrowed in confusion, but they looked at me with the expectation to go.

I nudged my horse to go faster, moving closer to Amethyst and Silas.

She glanced at me as my horse fell in step with theirs.

"U-um..."

"Did Azura ask you to talk to me?"

"Y-yeah..."

Amethyst sighed, rubbing her eyes.

"I just want to sleep with no nightmares..." she muttered.

I opened my mouth, but spotted something up the path. I pulled my horse ahead of theirs, making them stop.

"Leo?"

Camilla's wyvern flew back to us, and she landed.

"There's a horde of Faceless ahead," she said.

Amethyst grabbed the sword at her side, but I stopped her.

"Silas, take Amethyst ahead. Don't let her fight."

"What-"

"Yes, Lord Leo."

"No, I can fight-!"

"Amethyst, I don't want you to hurt yourself."

Her grip on her sword tightened. Silas snapped the reins, and their horse took off.

Amethyst tried to stop him, but her voice faded as they continued down the path. Xander stopped next to me, pulling out his sword.

"Get ready for battle, everyone! We'll join Amethyst and Silas once the Faceless are gone."

He took off for the horde, and the rest of us followed.

~ * ~