~28: Leo~

Xander's horse stayed next to mine as we watched Amethyst.

She began fidgeting after we regrouped with the scouts.

"Should she ride with me now?" I asked.

"Not just yet. She seems nervous, but not uncomfortable or scared. And as much as I know Azura can comfort Amethyst, I really think you could help better. It's important we get you two comfortable with each other sooner... I don't know when..."

He grew quiet, his brows furrowing.

"When what?" I asked.

"I'm not sure. Azura had a dream before we left Hoshido. She said something may happen to her, and she won't be around much longer..."

"What do you mean?"

"She'll disappear."

"Disappear how?"

Xander shrugged, shaking his head.

"She's surprised it hasn't happened yet. Apparently, if Amethyst had chosen either side, instead of neither, Azura would have died long ago."

"Is there any way to save Azura?"

"She's working on finding a way. But as of right now, she doesn't know."

"Will she tell Amethyst?"

"She wants to. She just needs to work out a way to bring it up."

I nodded, turning my attention back to the girls in front of us. Azura looked back, talking to Amethyst. She shook her head, but Azura only nodded. Their horse slowed down, until they were walking between Xander and I,

"We're almost there, yes?" Azura asked.

"Almost. Amethyst, whenever you want to switch, just let us know."

Amethyst nodded, her eyes closed. Thunder rumbled in the distance, making us all jump. She whimpered, and I reached out to place a hand on her shoulder. She looked at me, her eyes full of fear.

"It's alright. I'm here for you, Mey."

She looked away, before wiping at her eyes.

"I can do this..."

"It's perfectly fine if you need our help to get across. We're all here for you," Azura added.

Amethyst nodded again before resting her forehead on Azura's shoulder.

"Let's just get through this," she mumbled.

My eyes met with Azura's, and I noticed the dark circles under her eyes.

"Bad dreams," she mouthed.

I nodded, then turned my attention ahead.

My eyes landed on Saizo, who leaned against the hut near the bridge. Kaze waited closer to the bridge, looking out.

Amethyst grew stiff at the sight of the canyon, her eyes wide in fear. I looked over at Xander, but his eyes were on Amethyst.

"Amethyst?" he asked.

I looked back at her, and she'd stopped breathing.

"Mey?" Azura asked, looking back.

I reached out and shook her shoulder, but she still didn't respond. Lightning flashed, and Amethyst jumped.

"No, stop, don't listen to Hans. Keep going Gunter, you're gonna fall..."

Our horses stopped, and I shook Amethyst again.

"Amethyst!" I yelled.

She jumped, then looked at me, her eyes wide. I held out my arms, reaching for her. Silas came over and helped her down before setting her in front of me. I wrapped my arms tightly around her, then took hold of my reins.