~24: Leo~

The only sound made during our first day of travel was the noise from our animals.

Xander, Amethyst and Azura led the party down the path, but kept quiet.

There was nothing for the rest of us to say, so we chose to be silent.

We were surprised by the time the sun set, and we had not run into any trouble.

Xander stopped his horse before dismounting.

"We'll stop here for the night. Rest up. We'll leave early in the morning."

He led his horse off the path with Peri at his side.

My gaze turned to Amethyst as Silas helped her off her horse. Then Azura slipped off.

The rest of us followed, leading our mounts off the path.

Our retainers got to work setting up the camp.

Azura asked Amethyst something, and she frowned. Sadness filled her expression as she answered.

I yearned to know what they were talking about, but Elise stole my attention.

"Do you have a book I could read?" She asked.

"That's a first."

She let out a huff before pouting.

I pulled a book from my pouch, handing it to her.

"It might not interest you, though. Don't complain if it bores you."

Elise grew still, her grip on the book tightening.

"I don't feel it's appropriate to ask everyone to play right now. That, and we could be in danger at any moment. I don't want to bother everyone-"

"Bother?"

Elise looked up at me, our eyes meeting.

"Well, sometimes I feel that I'm bothering everyone. Camilla gave me a journal to write my thoughts in, but I often forget about it..."

I turned my attention to where Camilla sat. She talked with Hinoka and Takumi by the fire Beruka made.

She smiled at the two before our eyes met. She forced a smile, but the pain was obvious in her eyes.

I turned back to Elise as she grew quiet.

"I'm bothering you, aren't I?"

"N-no! You're not bothering me! It... it's just unexpected for you to say something like that."

"I hide it down. I know Mey struggles with it, but her condition is worse than mine. She needs better care than I do-"

I grabbed Elise's shoulders, and she stopped talking.

"Elise, listen to me. Even if someone else has a worse condition than you does not make your struggles insignificant. We're all here and willing to help. You may be annoying, I will admit. But that doesn't make you a bother, to any of us!"

Her bottom lip trembled before she jumped into me. I staggered back, but held us up, hugging her.

"I don't know how to stop this feeling! I hate it so much, but I don't know what to do!"

I pet her head as Camilla made her way over to us. She pulled Elise away from me and into another hug.

"I'm sorry," Elise cried.

"There's no need to be sorry, dear. Everyone needs to shed some tears sometimes. Even Xander! Some cry more than others, but that's alright. Let the tears go, let those emotions go."

Elise wailed, and Camilla pet her head. I stood to the side awkwardly, turning my gaze away.

A metal pot clanged, and we turned our attention to the fire.

"Dinner's ready!" Oboro called out.

The group headed to the fire as they handed bowls around.

I got my bowl, then moved to sit off to the side. I noticed that Amethyst and Azura hadn't come back. Silas had not joined us for dinner, either.

"Amethyst needed some space."

I jumped as Xander sat next to me, careful not to spill his soup.

"Is she alright?" I asked.

"As alright as Elise is."

My eyes landed on our sisters.

Elise wiped at her eyes as Camilla held her bowl. Arthur and Beruka stood to the side, unsure of what to do.

"Father got it in all our minds that we were nothing but bothers. Camilla and I weren't affected too badly, but it hit Amethyst and Elise hard. I have yet to tell if you were affected."

"I haven't felt that way. Not in a long time, at least."

"Oh?"

"I always felt I was in your shadow. But I worked my way through it and moved on. Takumi had the same problem, though, he still struggles with it."

"Indeed... Ryoma and I are sometimes clueless in what to do to help. Camilla and Azura are great at comforting them. It just feels unnatural for me to comfort anyone. I never really worked out what to do without being awkward."

"Azura told me it may take time. I'm still working out a way to comfort Amethyst. That works for the both of us."

"I've noticed your presence alone can comfort her."

"Really?"

"Yes, Amethyst seems much more relaxed when you're around."

My eyes traveled over our group as I watched them interact with each other.

"She's not too far into the trees, if you want to see her."

I looked away, and Xander chuckled.

"She's just letting some energy out before she sleeps."

"With her injured side?"

Xander shrugged before pushing himself to his feet.

I watched him move to the others, sitting next to Camilla and Elise.

I got to my feet before turning away from the group. My body moved to the trees before another thought could cross my mind.

"It won't be a problem, right?" I muttered.

~ * ~