~20: Leo~

My eyelids were too heavy to open for the longest time. Not that I felt a dire need to, but I would have liked to continue searching through the books.

By the time I could open my eyes, I felt rested and ready to get up. But a warm weight kept me from moving.

I opened my eyes and found a head of hair in front of my face. They curled into me, their arms curled between us.

A blanket lay over us, and our armor had been removed, revealing our day clothes.

I realized it was Amethyst when she took a shaky breath, then scooted closer to me.

I tightened my arms around her, then looked up when I heard chuckling.

I looked over her head and saw Niles chuckling from his chair. Jakob watched with an amused smile while Silas nodded off on the other couch.

I ignored them and instead turned my attention to Silas.

"When did he join us?" I asked.

"Soon after you fell asleep. He volunteered to let us rest while he watched you two."

"Milla... No, Zura... Stop- don't hurt them..."

Amethyst buried her face in my chest, clinging to me as she muttered in her sleep.

I rested my cheek on her head as she whimpered.

"She's cried a lot less in her sleep with you here. If I had known sooner, she was comforted by you, I would have moved you both closer. Lady Azura has waited for the moment. Lady Mey would go to you for comfort."

Amethyst shifted in her sleep before fighting down a yelp. She jolted in my arms, but my grip on her held her down.

She grabbed onto my shirt, her breath coming out heavy.

I reached over and began petting her head. Her grip on my shirt loosened, and she relaxed.

"Leo?" she whispered.

"Hm?"

"I didn't hit you in my sleep, did I?"

"Uh, I-I don't think so?"

Niles burst out laughing, spooking Amethyst. She buried her face in my chest, trying to hide. I glared at Niles.

The door opened, and Felicia walked in.

"Good morning!" She cheered

"It's afternoon, sister."

Felicia giggled as Flora followed behind her.

Amethyst peeked over her shoulder as the two girls stopped by Jakob.

"Are you alright?" I asked.

She nodded, turning back to me.

"I just had another nightmare again."

"You were talking in your sleep."

"I was?"

"Yeah... you were calling for... uh, Milla and Zura?"

"Yes... Someone was trying to hurt them. I told Camilla to stop, and Azura..."

She grew quiet before resting her head on my chest.

"Don't want to talk about it?"

She shook her head. I pet her head as she sighed.

"Would you like breakfast, Lady Mey?"

Amethyst shook her head, and Flora frowned. She spared a glance with Felicia, then the two walked over to us.

Their hands glowed blue, and I could feel the chill from where I lay.

Amethyst grew tense and tried to hide in my chest, but the girls still reached her.

She yelped, then jumped away from us. Felicia giggled as they stopped Mey from falling.

"Elise asked we get you so she can check your wound."

"O-oh, okay."

Flora helped Amethyst to her feet before handing her the cane we found.

I sat up, pushing the blanket aside.

Amethyst looked at me, her eyes wide. I nodded, giving her a soft smile. She nodded, then wobbled off with Flora, Felicia, and Jakob behind her.

I swung my legs over the couch before reaching for a book. Niles swiped it from my reach, walking off.

"Niles, give me the book," I said.

He walked off, whistling as he picked up more books. I stood and followed him further into the library.

"Niles-"

He stuffed a book back in its place before turning to me.

"Let's get out of the library for a while, shall we?"

He chuckled, and I could only sigh in annoyance.

"What else am I to do?"

"Spend time with your girlfriend."

"Sh-she's not my girlfriend-"

"You both would like that."

"Like what?"

"If you were together."

I turned away, my cheeks burning.

"The others would object. And she might find it weird-"

"You'd be surprised if you could see behind their eyes, Sire."

My eyes met with Niles's as he slid another book in place.

"If you are ever so curious to know, start asking Lady Azura. She'd be glad to answer."

I sighed, then headed back for the couch.

"Help me get my armor on, then."

He set the books down and walked over.

"Lady Mey forgot hers."

"Hm?"

My eyes trailed over to her armor, which sat at the other end of the couch.

"Let's hope she won't need it today-"

"Don't jinx it, Niles."

~ * ~