~35: Amethyst~

I jolted awake as Clarabelle came to a stop.

Rain sprinkled over us as I pushed up, thunder rumbling nearby.

We'd stopped in front of a forest. I had the vaguest idea where we could be, but I wasn't sure.

I'd turned us southeast after we'd arrived in Hoshido and followed the path from there.

I rubbed my eyes as I slipped off my horse, my vision clearing. The effects of the painkillers were wearing off, but I didn't have time to take them.

Too much time had passed traveling, and I couldn't risk anyone catching up. Or anyone attacking Hoshido again.

Clarabelle whinnied, and I stopped moving. She nudged my shoulder, and I reached up to pet her nose.

"I'll be okay, I promise," I whispered.

I nudged her back, then started for the forest.

The further in I went, the quieter everything got. Not even the crickets dared chirp.

I grabbed my side as the pain worsened, but I kept moving.

After arriving in a clearing, I stopped. My eyes landed on my clone, who sat curled by a tree. Iago stepped out from the shadows, a frown on his face.

"I didn't think you would actually come," he mused.

"Why does it matter?"

His brow raised, but he didn't answer my question.

"You expected a fight?"

My hand rested on my sword, but I let it drop.

"If you brought me here to kill me, then just do it already."

"Eager to die, are we?"

I grit my teeth, sending Iago a scowl.

"Stop asking questions already! Why did you call me here?!"

He pointed at my clone, who looked up.

"I want you to kill her. She's of no use to me anymore, now that I have you alone."

"And why do you need me here?"

"Well, if I told you now, that would ruin the fun!"

I let out a shaky sigh before turning to leave. A Faceless stepped out from behind the trees, blocking my exit.

I sighed again, then turned back to Iago.

"All you have to do is kill your clone~"

"And why don't you?"

"That's no fun!"

He tossed a dagger towards me. It landed in front of me; the hilt glowing as lightning struck nearby.

"Why do you want her dead?"

"Gotta follow orders."

My brows furrowed as I lifted the dagger. My clone grew rigid before lunging for Iago. He moved back, staying away from her.

"Father said nothing about this!"

She kept trying to move for Iago, but he stayed back.

"Well, Amethyst?"

I sighed again, then turned into a dragon. I moved towards them before pouncing on my clone.

She yelped as I held her still, her dead eyes looking up at me.

"You don't know how this works! If I die, you'll die, too! That's how Father said Vallan cloning magic works!"

I froze, holding my breath.