~33: Amethyst~

My back was freezing. I wanted to pull a blanket over myself and curl into a ball. But I could barely move.

I opened my eyes, waiting for my vision to adjust. Leo lay next to me, his eyes moving over the page of a book.

I tried to shift my body, but hissed in pain. Leo glanced at me, his eyes widening when ours met.

"Hey, sleepyhead," he said.

I let out a grumble as he reached over and stroked my cheek.

"How are you feeling?"

"Everything hurts."

"You got pretty beat up out there."

"Mm..."

Something cold touched my back, and I yelped. Leo chuckled as I lifted my head and turned to look.

The nurse looked at me in shock, a cloth wet with a salve in her hands.

"So-sorry..."

I muttered, letting my head fall to the pillow. She put the cloth on my back again, gently rubbing the medicine into my back.

"How bad is it?" I asked.

"Hm?"

"My back..."

"There's a big bruise across the middle. Azura said to not put anything on your back, so you've been pretty cold. You keep trying to move closer to me," he chuckled again.

"How long was I out?"

"About a week. The only real good news I can give is your side is healing. It's just... slow. Getting that bit to heal took all of Elise and Sakura's energy."

"They didn't pass out, did they?"

"They almost did. Camilla and Azura stopped them. It feels like Elise is trying to be as strong as Mother was..."

He grew quiet and turned his attention to the ceiling.

"She would have been an amazing cleric if things had been different."

"Yes, she would have."

I reached out and took his hand. Our fingers entwined immediately, and I squeezed his hand.

The door opened, and Elise poked her head in the room.

"Is Mey up yet?" she asked.

"She just woke up," the nurse replied.

She slipped in with Sakura right behind her.

"Let's try again-"

"Please don't push yourselves for my sake."

Elise grew quiet, a frown growing.

"Pushing yourselves to heal me won't help me feel better. I want your health to be well, too. You both are doing great already. You don't need to push yourself to do more."

Their eyes met for a moment before they nodded.

"We want to try one-one more tim-time!"

I bit my lip as they moved to my side, holding their staves over my back.

"We can do this," Elise whispered.

A blue light grew from the staves, and my side began tingling. My brows furrowed at the feeling, and I lifted my head to look at the girls.

Sweat slipped down both their faces, and I only grew worried.

"Girls?" Leo started.

"We've got this!"