~15: Amethyst~

After the door shut, Azura placed a hand on my head.

"I know you're awake, Mey."

I opened my eyes and sighed.

"What do you think of the conversation?"

"I don't know..."

She pet my head gently, then stood to clean the rags from the floor.

"How's your pain now?"

"It's lessened a little. It just really hurts."

"I can give you more medicine in the morning. You've had the highest dose available without harming your body, so there's not much we can do now. Is there anything I can do to help you feel more comfortable?"

"Not right now."

Azura returned to my side, leaning down to kiss my forehead.

"I'll grab your blanket, but rest for now, alright?"

I nodded, then watched as she pulled over a blanket. She tucked me in before picking up the bucket and rags.

"Kaze, please take these to get washed, then return to your post outside the door."

"Yes, Lady Azura."

Kaze took the bucket and rags, then took off. The door shut, and Azura returned to my side.

"Sleep," she said.

I sighed again, then closed my eyes. Some time passed before I finally drifted off.

~ * ~

Dust dissipated from the throne room floor, the remnants of Garon fading away. I let out a heavy breath before sheathing my sword.

"We did it... Azura we did it-"

I turned as something fell to the ground. My eyes landed on Azura, and my heart froze.

Azura lay on the ground, her body shuddering. A blue substance covered her body, releasing a white mist.

"Azura!" I screamed as I knelt by her.

She forced herself to sit up, giving me a soft smile.

"You did great, Amethyst. I'm proud of you."

She reached out and cupped my cheek, tears sliding down her cheeks.

"Can you smile for me?" She asked.

"Ho-how could I smile at-at a time like this?" I hiccupped.

"Please... one more smile... give me one more smile before I go?"

I forced the most genuine smile I could muster as Azura's torso fell to the ground, her cold, limp hand leaving my cheek.

"Lovely... thank you... so much, Amethyst..." she whispered.

My smile fell, and tears poured down my cheeks.

"Azura...?"

Her body stopped moving, the blue nearly finished consuming her body. Her lips moved, but I couldn't hear what she said.

I grabbed her shoulder and shook it, but her body dissolved into the white mist. The mist dissolved midair, and I sat in shock.

Everything caught up to me, and my tears came out faster.

Hinoka and Sakura ran to me as I let out cries of agony. Ryoma stood off to the side with Takumi, the both of them watching in shock.

The scene faded, and I stood in the throne room again. I couldn't force myself to smile, and I felt cold and numb.