~32: Leo~

I peered at Amethyst from over my book. Her fingers drummed the table as she skimmed over the book in front of her. Niles picked out some books nearby while Jakob stood by in the shadows.

Camilla insisted we bond, while I had no interest in Amethyst. It had been a while since Father first brought her to the castle. But there was something... off.

I didn't know how to explain it then, what feeling I had. I thought it was because I hated her.

She glanced up from her book, our eyes meeting. She held my gaze, never wavering. Niles dropped a pile of books on the table, startling me. Amethyst broke her gaze, then looked back at the book.

The library door opened, and Camilla peeked in the room. I glared at her as she looked at us, pushing her bangs from her eyes. Elise peeked in with her, a childish grin on her face. Camilla said something to Elise, and they left and closed the door.

Amethyst sighed before flipping the book shut.

"I know you don't like me," she muttered while standing up.

Jakob stepped forward as she moved to leave the room. I said nothing as she left the library.

Once the door slammed shut, I turned back to my book. Niles dropped into the chair next to me, opening a book.

"You don't have to be so mean to her, y'know."

"I'm not being mean to her!"

"You're cold and distant. You never talk to her if you don't have to. And you glare at her a lot."

I grit my teeth, slamming my book shut.

"Why wouldn't I? I don't like her at all!"

"And why not? What's wrong with her?"

I grew quiet, and Niles rolled his eyes.

"I-I can't explain it..."

"Then find out how."

I rolled my eyes, then opened my book.

"Whatever," I mumbled.

~ * ~

I opened my eyes, my vision blurry, before clearing. Rain pounded on the cover over the wagon, the wheels squeaking as we moved.

Everything slowly hit me, and I tried to sit up. Warm hands held me down as pain stabbed my abdomen. I hissed as they pushed me down, and I let my body relax.

"Your ribs are broken, Leo. Let yourself rest," Azura said.

"Where's Amethyst?"

"She's right next to you."

I looked to my left, my eyes widening.

Amethyst lay on her stomach, her back wrapped up and bruised. Camilla lay on Amethyst's other side. Both of them passed out.

"What happened?" I whispered.

"Amethyst said you passed out after you fell down the cliff. She brought you to our camp, but went back for Camilla. They both came back severely injured. We did what we could, but... they're still in so much pain."

Niles hopped into the cart at my feet, moving over us to sit by Azura.

"Lord Xander said we'll reach the capital soon. There's some smoke coming from the village, and he went ahead with a few others to see what's up."

"Smoke? From the village?"

"It could just be a small fire, or it could be worse."

Amethyst let out a shaky sigh in her sleep. Camilla's eyes opened, and she looked over at us.