~23: Amethyst~

I set my journal aside, letting out a sigh.

There had been so much to write that I was up all night filling the journal.

The sun rose long ago, and soldiers passed by, continuing their patrols.

Some servants finished up our preparations to leave.

It wasn't long after the castle woke up that Faceless broke through the gates.

Leo's horse knocked me aside as I got up, moving away.

I stuck the journal and pen in a satchel before using my sword to pick myself up. I left my cane aside, as it would be useless in battle.

Soldiers rushed through the front doors, starting for the Faceless.

I struggled to make it out the gate, and towards the fight.

"Lady Amethyst, you can't fight in that condition!"

My gaze turned to Felicia as I tripped and fell. Something cracked under me as I hit the stone.

I yelped, and Felicia rushed over to me. She helped me to my knees as pieces of blue stone fell from my armor.

I pulled my dragon stone out, and the broken pieces slipped between my fingers.

"Oh no!"

My ears began ringing, and my chest tightened. My attention turned to the Faceless as a soldier fell back, holding onto his side.

Felicia backed away from me as everything glowed blue.

I closed my eyes and screamed in pain as my body stretched and morphed.

When the pain stopped, and I opened my eyes, I was much higher. I glanced at my hands, but found I'd turned into a dragon.

My sword lay discarded at my side, but I couldn't use it now. I turned to the Faceless, then started for them.

"Amethyst!"

My side burned as I ran to the Faceless, knocking them down. The Hoshidan soldiers moved out of my way as I took the entire horde on.

I spotted the others join, but I kept my attention on fighting. The pain in my side only grew, but I tried to fight it down.

I hit three Faceless with my tail, forcing them to disintegrate. My eyes landed on a figure hiding in the shadows.

They ducked away, and I took off after them.

"No, Amethyst!"

I burst through the doors, sliding to a stop. The figure had disappeared, but more Faceless made their way into town.

I started for the next horde, but Leo stopped his horse in front of me. He held his hand out, keeping me from going.

"Amethyst, you're going to hurt yourself if you keep this up. What happened to your dragon stone?"

I let out a rumble, looking away. The others took on the rest of the Faceless as Leo held my head in his hands.

"Let's get you another dragon stone and check on your side. I don't want you to be in any more pain while we're gone."

I tried to see how the others were doing, but he stopped me.

His eyes were full of worry, his brows furrowed. He closed his eyes, then rested his forehead on my head.

"The others will be alright. You need to worry about yourself!"

I let out another rumble, then turned back for the castle. I looked back to the fight, but Leo kept me from going back.

Azura came out the front doors as we came through the gate.

My pain grew as my body shrank, and I returned to normal. I held back my cries before falling to my knees.

Leo knelt next to me, and I fell into him. Azura knelt with us, holding out another dragon stone.

"How did it break?" She asked.

"I fell, and it shattered."

Azura's brows furrowed. I pointed at the remnants of my last dragon stone nearby.

Felicia collected them in a handkerchief, before bringing it to us. Azura took the cloth, looking down at the stone.

"This shouldn't be possible. It takes a lot more than a fall to break these."

"Do you think Iago could have done something?"

"He's never been close enough to touch my dragon stone, though."

Leo's arms tightened around me. Azura sighed, then wrapped the stone remnants, sticking them in a pocket.

"Help me check her wound, Leo."

"Ou-out here? Me?" He stuttered.

Azura nodded as she pulled out a roll of bandages from the satchel at her side before pulling off my armor.

I felt too weak to resist or help as they removed my armor and tunic.

Leo averted his gaze, growing more nervous as Azura removed the bandages.

I looked down at the wound and winced.

"If you push yourself when injured, you'll only hurt more," Azura said.

"I couldn't just not help-"

"Helping is fine. But not if you're pushing your limits. If you're ever in pain, you need to retreat and trust the others to fight for you."

"Everything goes wrong when I stay behind."

I grew quiet, not wanting to share the thought that arose.

Azura wiped disinfectant on my wound, and I hissed. I clung to Leo's armor, but the metal didn't budge under my grip.

Azura wrapped the bandages around my torso before slipping my tunic back on. Leo turned his gaze back to us as the others came back.

I looked up at Takumi, and our eyes met. He looked terrified, and his grip on his bow tightened.

"What happened?" I asked as they stopped by us.

Ryoma turned his head, his eyes glancing back at the village. My eyes turned that way, and I froze.

Smoke rose from a building, and some villagers made their way in.

I tried to move forward, but Leo held me back.

"I have to stay behind and help the villagers recover. I'll send the rest of you off to find answers."

I looked away, frowning.

"Leave once you're ready. Saizo will go with you. Send him back if you require help."

Xander nodded, sheathing Seigfried. The others began preparing to go, while I stayed on the ground with Leo and Azura.

After about half an hour, we climbed onto our rides and headed out.

~ * ~