murphy's luck

[Scene: Photographic Studio. A photographer is looking through Prue's portfolio.]

Mr. Corso: Everything is shot in digital now, you know.

Prue: Yeah, I'm equipped.

Mr. Corso: Nice stuff. Oh, I like this one. What lens did you use?

Prue: 24f8

Mr. Corso: What shutter speed?

Prue: 125.

(A photographer shows Mr. Corso a photo.)

Mr. Corso: Okay, lose the kicker, let the shuttle play there. (to Prue) Hmm, impressive.

Prue: So does that mean I got the job?

Mr. Corso: Based on your portfolio, yes. Based on your resume, no. Took a detour shutter bugging did you?

Prue: Mr. Corso, I've changed careers, I'm not hiding that. But with all due respect, if you like my work that should be enough. I mean, you're hiring me, not my resume.

Mr. Corso: You wanna shot? Get me a better one of Maggie Murphy. She's gonna be featured in our St. Paddy's day issue. (He hands her a picture of Maggie.) Something about being the unluckiest woman in San Francisco. And she's Irish. Down the hall where they do the writing, they call that irony. Address is on the back. Up until three months ago, she was like a saint. Helping the homeless, volunteering, charity. Then like overnight everything started going bad for her. Real bad. I want what you have in here, Prue. Artistic, soulful, point. I wanna see the inner Maggie in your photograph and I wanna see it by five o'clock today or don't bother coming back.

Prue: Thank you.

(She walks away.)

[Scene: Rooftop of a building. Maggie is there. She walks over to the edge. The Darklighter appears.]

Maggie: What am I doing? This isn't me.

Darklighter: Yes it is. It's all my fault. The car accident, the fire, my brother's death. I hurt the ones I love.

Maggie: I hurt the ones I love.

Darklighter: I have to stop it.

Maggie: Has to stop. I don't deserve to live.

Darklighter: This is who I really am. Cursed.

Maggie: I'm cursed.

(People start gathering around on the ground looking up at Maggie. The Darklighter disappears. Prue turns up in her car. She gets out and notices Maggie on the roof.)

Prue: Maggie? Maggie, no. (Prue astral projects on to the roof.) Maggie. (Maggie turns around.) Just wait, don't.

Maggie: Where did you come from? How do you know me?

Prue: It doesn't matter, just step away from the ledge and take my hand.

Maggie: Stay away from me.

Prue: Maggie, Please, I can help you.

Maggie: Nobody can help me.

Prue: Maggie, this isn't the answer.

Maggie: All I wanted to do was help people. Now all I do is hurt them.

(Maggie loses her balance and falls off the ledge. Prue grabs her arm before she can fall any further.)

Prue: Maggie.

Maggie: Let me go, please.

Prue: I can't hold on much longer. (You see Maggie's arm slipping. She slips and falls. Prue astral projects back into her body.) No! (Prue uses her power and moves Maggie so she lands on the canopy and she rolls off onto the ground. Everyone crowds around her. She sees Prue.)