Chapter 24

Wednesday

"Ok class you're a going to want to actually pay attention today. That goes for you two, Miss L/n and Mister Lawrence. Yesterday all the English teachers had a meeting and decided that since the holidays are approaching shortly it would be easier to have our midterm taken and graded before break so we don't have to worry about it later" Mr. Brown explained. "Your class will take the test on Friday, which gives you today and tomorrow to review your materials. You will not be given a study guide, because this will be an easy assessment."

"What's going to be on the test?" Susan asked on behalf of the class

"There's four sections. So multiple choice on the books we've read, general vocab, you will have to read a short article and create a thesis, and there will be prompt for a short free response"

"So we have to write an essay?"

"Yes, but it doesn't have to be extremely long. You only need five paragraphs"

"What do you mean by general vocab?" I asked

"Just terms you should know as seniors and vocab we learned in our poetry unit"

"Ok"

"Does anyone else have a question?"

"I do Mr. Brown"

"What is it mister Lawrence?"

"What have we read this year?"

"If you don't know the answer to that you might as well accept your 'F' now"

Johnny just snickered and nodded at Mr. Brown's response

"Aniyah you're excused from this because you're new. Everyone else get to studying."

I started looking through the beginning of my notebook and looking back at what I wrote. I realized I didn't take good notes, mainly because I'm always talking to Johnny in class instead of listening. I continued looking through when a note landed on my desk.

"I don't know why you're looking through your book like you wrote stuff down. -johnny :)"

I smiled to myself. It was like he could read my mind. I flipped the paper over and wrote back. "Wanna go to the library after school today to study after karate?". I returned the note on his desk and waited for a response. After a minute passed, I still didn't get a 'yes' back so I turned around and gave him a questioning look.

"She took the note." he said sadly, pointing at Aniyah. She smiled at me and gave him the note back. "What did you write?" He asked

"I asked if you wanted to study at the library with me after karate"

"Oh. I don't really like the library but sure"

"Have you ever been to the library?"

"Well no but still"

"We're going, it'll be fun"

"The library with books and hours of studying, yeah sounds like a blast" he said sarcastically. Not gonna lie, it kind of hurt my feelings. I know it shouldn't, but it bothers me that he doesn't want to. Since we're both always busy and haven't been on that many dates, any time we get to spend with just us, he should want to spend it. Maybe I'm just in my head about it.

"Well if you're gonna be like that, I'm just gonna go with Aniyah" I said. "Aniyah, would you like to go to the library with me around 5?"

"Sure. I'll need a ride though"

"She doesn't even have to take it" Johnny protested

"So. She'd be a great study buddy"

"No, she's not going"