Having Hope

Catalina Donatello

Catalina Donatello

I listen to the chaos unfolding outside the door. Romano has been gone all day. I peak through a crack watching a bunch of his men's fear scramble around.

Slouching back down I stare at the shackles at my feet. My mind goes back to the last time I heard the emergency sirens ever go off. The blue eyed girl; she was so close to saving me. But I wanted to save her and the others.

She told me she wasn't going to stop looking for me. Is she here? Is this an opportunity I take?

I try to stand up, and the feeling of whatever Romano injected me with the other day has faded. However, I haven't walked in days.

I tug on the shackles, my eyes watching the chain pull at the wall. Nothing happens. I'm too weak.

Tears forms into my eyes. How can a Donatello be this weak!? I know my father and mothers are rolling in their graves. Look what I got myself into! I shouldn't have snuck out of school and went to that club with Benjamin.

God I miss my brothers.

I sigh just about to give up, but my eyes land on a granite paper weight on Romano's desk. I scramble to get it but the shackles yanked me back.

I huff but continue to reach for it. Spreading my sore, bruised, and unshackled leg, I form a lunge pose. My hope increases as my finger tips graze the paper weight. I stretch my arms as much as I can ignoring the pain caused by last night.

My hand grabs into the paper weight and I immediately get to work on the chains. With the alarms and chaos around hopefully nobody hears the banging sounds. But as I hear the sound of a big explosion, all caring of anyone hearing me went out the window.

I slam the paper weight down on the the shackles, using all the strength I can muster up. The sound of the old chains breaking caused me to sigh in relief.

I race across the room to the door and I nearly thank God that it was open. I make my way down the now empty hallway, my mind coming to realization I am on a yacht. As I walk stealthy down some corridor I am greeted to the outside world.

The smell of sea and smoke fill my ears. My eyes watch as flames engulf shipping containers, Romano's men racing around, and my ears fill with the sound of racing cars and gunfire.

"Hey! What the fuck are you doing!?" I hear a guard shout at me.

My head whips back to see a murderous look on his face. I leave no time to think and just run. I run towards the back of the bot hearing his foot steps behind me.

The sounds of two gun shots causes me to stop in fear. I slowly let out a breath afraid to look down. My body relaxes realizing that I wasn't hit with any bullets.

I turn around seeing the guard that was chasing me, now lying in a pool of his own blood. My eyes snap up to the culprit, I watch as he takes his hat off , revealing his crystal blue-gray eyes he inherited from my mother.