Ch 13: Isolde

I woke as the sun started to illuminate the room, a sign that it was time to get up and start our day. I sighed when I realized I had a headache that was threatening to turn into a migraine and cursed my ability to get emotional hangovers. I rolled over to look at Logan; he looked so peaceful when he was asleep. Cursing under my breath, I finally got out of bed and made my way into the bathroom. I was pleasantly sore, and I noticed I had a few bruises along my hipsSmiling at the memory, I turned on the hot water and stepped into the shower. Unable to help myself, I started singing as I let the water wash away the sweat and soreness. Halfway through the song, I felt a pair of arms wrap around me as lips kissed their way down my neck and across my shoulders. “Good morning,” he murmured as I turned around to face him. He smirked as I blushed. Lord knows why I was blushing considering all the things that happened the night before, but the flush crept up my face causing me to look down which caused me to blush more. I finally settled on closing my eyes and burying my face into his chest. I could feel his shoulders shaking before his laughter echoed throughout the room, and despite my best efforts, a smile crept onto my face and I began to laugh with him. “You’re so beautiful,” he said after the laughing died down. I blushed again before turning around to wash my hair. “I’ve got that,” he said as he lathered up his hands and started to massage my scalp. He rinsed his hands, grabbed the body wash, lathered up again, and started working on my back and shoulders. I moaned as his fingers worked their magic. I turned around to return the favor, and pretty soon, the steam in the bathroom wasn’t just from the hot water. The water turning cold made us hurry to rinse off, and we were both dried off and dressed within ten minutes. I made my way to the kitchen to make breakfast, and when we’re eating, his phone rang. It appears that the killer had struck again, and I watched as sorrow shot across Logan’s face before the anger appeared. Silently, I followed behind him as he made his way towards the front door. “Stay here,” he said. I shot him a look before he added in a quiet voice, “I can’t afford to worry about you. Daniel will be after you since you know who he is and you escaped him; I can’t lose you.” I sighed and nodded my head in agreement before giving him a quick kiss and locked the door behind him.

The hours passed, and I tried to keep myself busy between going through Logan’s books, listening to some of his music, and cooking dinner. He was a man with a hidden soft side. An hour before he was due to be home, the phone rang. I picked it up, and his voice came through. “Hey, I’m going to be late. I’ve found traces of where Daniel is going this time, and I’m going to try to head him off,” he said. The fear coursed through me as I said, “Logan, please…” but he cut me off, “I have to do this.” He hung up before I could say anything, and anger began to find its way in and overpower the fear. How dare he hang up on me. I put the food away. If he thought I was going to sit here while he hunted the rogue, he was wrong. I quickly changed into a pair of tight black pants with a black vest and found my knives. I threw on my boots before mentally flipping him the bird and stepping outside. I didn’t need werewolf senses to know where Daniel was going; I didn’t need to because he was going to come after me. I ran through the woods, back towards the spot where we had first battled, but in my heart, I knew my dream was coming true. A howl sent shivers down my spine, and I knew that Daniel knew I was here.

A rustling had me throwing myself sideways and grabbing one of my knives as I stood back up. Daniel was standing in front of me, and not giving me a chance to regain my stance, he threw a punch. I blocked his hand and shot my other hand forward, grazing his side in the process. His taunting smile turned into a look of pure hatred.  I continued to dart in and out of his range as he tried to get inside my defenses, and each time, I made contact with him. Another howl pierced the night as Logan finally found Daniel, and I was distracted long enough for Daniel to rake his claws down my arm before running off. Growling filled the air as I heard the sounds of Daniel and Logan battling, and I took off towards the sound. I cursed as I stumbled on a log, wasting precious minutes as I tried to untangle myself from a thorny bush. Another howl filled the air, and the animals in the forest became eerily silent. It was a cry of pain, and my heart hammered in my chest as I prayed it wasn't Logan's. I finally caught sight of Logan and Daniel, a silent scream echoing in my head at what I saw, only to be blocked when I tried to reach them. As I watched, they moved further into the forest, back towards the clearing, but I was unable to give chase as I looked at who was standing in front of me.