Ch 15: Isolde

I looked up at the high council and wanted to cry. Logan was possibly dying, and I couldn't do anything to save him. I tried running around them, breaking their ranks, anything to get through, but it was impossible. The leader looked at me with pity in his eyes as I stared at him with defiance. "So it seems our cold-hearted angel has fallen for the beast?" he asked with coldness in his voice. I refused to answer him as the other members of the council laughed. "Did you not learn your lesson with Eric?" one of others spouted off. As the laughter died down, the leader looked at me. His commanding voice echoed throughout the night, "Be careful which path you choose, Isolde. Heartache and destruction await you at every turn, and we cannot allow you to break the rules we have set." I looked at them with hatred, my inner fire burning through my eyes, before they disappeared. I ran as fast as I could, stumbling through the woods as tree branches hit my body. I finally stumbled into a clearing, the same clearing where Logan had rescued me when we first met, and the sight before me bought me to my knees. A keening cry escaped my lips as the blood coating the snow seemed to glow, a ruby red sacrifice to the gods of old. Logan’s body lay motionless, half submerged in the frigid water. I crawled over to him, laying my head on chest to hear the faint heartbeat as he struggled for life. The tears escaped my eyes, falling onto his chest, as I looked at the damage he’d taken. I would heal him even if it cost me my life. As I struggled to move his body, two figures appeared out of the woods. I watched as Zoey and Alex made their way towards us, a sad smile upon their faces. “I’ll carry him,” Alex said. I watched as he gently picked Logan up, and we walked back towards his car. I sat in the back, cradling his head, as Alex drove us home. Zoey watched us with sad eyes, but a knowing smile crossed her face. “Don’t worry too much about what the high council said,” she said. “How can I not?” I whispered as tears fell down my face again. “They live to make us fear them, but they know they can’t win against you and Logan and us; we’re some of their most powerful angels in how determined we are when it comes to those we love. They’ll try to bully you, make you fear them, to the point that you come back on your own free will,” she stated. “How can you be so sure?” I asked. “They tried to do it with us and with a few other angels,” she said. I looked at her before looking back at Logan’s mangled body.

When we got to the house, Alex carried Logan inside to his bedroom with us following. Zoey gathered hot water, soap, and bandages as I pulled up a chair. Silently, we cleaned him up to see the extent of the damage. She hissed as the marks came into the view, and I wandered how he was still alive; it was bad even for a werewolf. Alex looked at Zoey, “Go ahead,” he said. She nodded and closed her eyes. I watched as she healed most of the damage, only faint scratches remaining when she was done. “He needs to rest a few days, even with everything I’ve done,” she said as her eyes fluttered. Alex rushed forward to grab her before she passed out. I looked at him as he answered my unspoken question, “It takes more energy to heal in the human world, and his injuries were serious.” I nodded my understanding before asking, “Do you want to stay here tonight? There are a couple spare rooms.” He hesitated a second before nodding, and I lead him to one of the rooms and told him where everything was before I ran back to Logan.