Set (셋)

Back at my hotel I ordered food that I wouldn't normally eat but after today I think I deserved to eat something fat and greasy and enjoy it. I requested a double cheeseburger with ALL the fixings, I'm talking lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, mushrooms and a fried egg, with a basket of friends. I pulled out a bottle of soju and drank straight from it until a third of it was in my stomach then took an overestimated bite of the burger.

"Mmm. Mhmmm perfect" I said to no one while nodding my head in approval. Even with the amount of food I was consuming I still felt the alcohol making its presence known.

My Korean genes won in the battle of 'will I be able to drink or will I drown?' To be fair my asian glow isn't as severe as others but I could never keep up with my black side of the family but I'm sure I could out drink my Korean family. When I drank I became a little clingy and being alone 95% didn't help with that issue. In my buzzed state of mind I called Minji.

"Ma-ri, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I was umm, I was wondering if you wanted to come- hiccup -excuse me, come to my hotel room"

"Uh okay, yeah I can come if you want me to" she sounded skeptical. She should be. If I wasn't drinking I probably wouldn't have called her

"Great! I will send my driver to pick you up, bye" I hung up before she could say another word. I arranged for her pickup and took another drink and finished my burger and fries so they could absorb some of the alcohol.

Thirty minutes later she knocked at my door so I went to let her in. She came in and gawked a little at the room.

"Wow this is a really fancy room, no wonder you didn't want to stay at our house" she slipped off her shoes off

"Partly. Mostly because I don't know you all that well" I stumbled a little back to my bed

"You've been drinking" she says, setting her purse on the dresser only for it to fall over. She immediately picked up and closed it up.

"I have. Want some?"

"Sure, why not?" I gave her an unopened bottle and a glass.

"Are you hungry? I just had the best burger ever I could order you one" Minji shook her head

"No thanks, we've got plenty of food from friends and neighbors" she replies after taking her drink to the head "You should come met the rest of the family tomorrow"

"I won't make drunken promises"

"They want to meet you, we all did"

"I don't think your mother did" she shrugged then swallowed another.

"Did you actually want to meet us or did you feel obligated to come back to Korea? I was happy you agreed to come but you clearly don't want to be here so why did you really come back?"

Her words struck a chord. A simple straightforward question of why and suddenly I didn't know. I thought I would get closure or maybe I was secretly curious about them or was I just a glutton for punishment and liked torturing myself with the pain from my past. It would sound incredibly strange to say I felt a pull, something drawing me back here after spending over a decade away.

"Honestly, I can't narrow it down to one thing but the strongest urge came from something inside me. Deep down, I knew I would come back here someday even though I swore I wouldn't but I've always felt like something was pulling me back but I ignored it. I guess his funeral was the excuse I needed to try figuring out why I feel like I have to be here" Minji listens intently, like she was thinking about it too and wants to figure it out for me.

"Do you have any good memories of dad?" Okay, she is definitely my sister. No beating around the bush, I wonder if it's the soju or her natural demeanor.