E8: Daseot

We made it

We made it.

All of us arrived on time, as planned and without any unforeseen obstacles. We left Minsu and Minji on the main island with a promise to call them the next day and see them in two days.

The ferry ride was 45 minutes long which wasn't unbearable, but the waters were pretty choppy and some of us got nauseated. I, for sure, was happy when land came into view. When we got to the protected island Sienna was waiting by the dock looking as nervous as possible making me look over at my dad and his eyes were glazed over. I reached out to touch his hand and give it an assuring squeeze. Our entire situation is so strange and surreal to me, I keep trying to wrap my mind around everything that has happened, and it just doesn't make sense that the events that are happening should be happening.

For years I longed to have my parents back in my life, I wished I had siblings to play with and build relationships with, I wished to have someone to love me as I am. I wished to no longer be abandoned or pushed away and now I have that, I have it tenfold and for some reason I can't accept it. On the flipside I am so full of emotion, besides confusion and skepticism, I feel an overwhelming sense of happiness at the prospect of having everything I've ever wanted since I was eleven years old. Seeing the way my parents look at each other, despite everything they've gone through, fills my heart with so much joy that I find myself holding back tears. They have a long road ahead of them to repair their relationships with each other but the fact they are willing to try for one another, to reconcile and build what crumbled during its foundational stage is so beautiful to me.

I look over at Mi-kyung, she sits the furthest away from me on my dad's left side and my mom occupies his right side and see the internal battle in her expression. The guilt, the longing, the regret and the love-she looks at both of her mates with so much emotion in her eyes that it spills over in the form of tears. Mom and dad are holding hands and it's clear that she wants to join them but hesitates, as if my mother read her thoughts she reaches from her hand and presses it to her lips which makes Mi-kyung cry harder. I had to look away. Mom swapped seats with dad and whispered something in her ear before kissing her lips, wet with tears. She held her face and kissed her harder, slipping her tongue into her mouth.

"We are going to be okay Mi-kyung" she smiled and pecked her lips once more.

"I'm so sorry" she continued to cry, laying her head on mom's shoulder at her urging. Dad looked on with silent tears and slid her arm over my mom's shoulders to rub Mi-kyung's hair.

A few minutes later the ferry was docked, and we walked off with our luggage. Sienna talked to the captain for a moment before walking over to us. "Hi everyone, glad that you all made it here safely" she said with a nervous smile as she stared at my dad, her son.

Time seemed to slow down as the two stared at each other. Dad approached with unsure steps until he was standing right in front of her, looking down on her short frame before dropping to his knees and wrapping his arms around her waist and sobbing.