03 | Do You Trust Me?

We're inside the supermarket where Val is stealing some food for us while I keep a lookout for the security guard

We're inside the supermarket where Val is stealing some food for us while I keep a lookout for the security guard. I don't think anyone suspects two 8 year olds stealing food, lost maybe but not stealing.

Val comes out of the drinks aisle with her pockets and bag full of food, drinks, and some hygiene products, before she makes it to me my eyes go wide as I see the security guard following close behind her. She must see my panic because she looks over her shoulder to see what I'm looking at she then starts bolting through the isle. She catches up to me and we run out of the store, my breathing now heavy since we've been running for a while. I'm pretty sure we lost the guy a while ago but we don't stop till we reach our safety spot.

We finally reach the alleyway where we have made a makeshift sleeping area with some boxes and some tarp we found. Unfortunately, since leaving the orphanage a week ago, we are kind of struggling but Val has tried her hardest to provide for both of us with shelter and food. If I'm being honest I will rather be out on the street with Val than in the orphanage and possibly being separated from her. I'd be lost without her.

"That was a close one Val," I wheeze out trying to catch my breath. I look over to Val and she has a Cheshire grin on her face, she doesn't even look out of breath.

"Nate, you were supposed to be looking out. That's okay though I got the things we need even if we were close to being caught." She giggles.

I roll my eyes, typical of her to blame it on me. She's been trying to teach me this past week about some things her mother taught her, she wants to train me so I'm as good as her. I am no way near as good as her for the most part but I'm giving it my all. I think the best part about learning all this, is gaining back all the confidence that my parents took away from me. I also love learning all the different languages that Val is teaching me, french would have to be my favorite so far whereas Val is a little biased and prefers Italian, which is a close favorite for me as well.

I still remember seeing Val for the first time that day at the orphanage, she had long black hair, that nearly reached her bottom and the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen compared to my boring hazel ones. Her smile was warm and inviting, you just wanted to smile as well, it was contagious. I was a bit upset that she didn't talk to me though but I understood, she knew I was upset and left me to think.

So imagine my surprise when she finally talked to me and she asked if I was okay, my heart skipped a beat. No one ever asked me that, not even an adult there and at that moment I knew she cared about me and I knew I was going to care about her too.

"Nate! You're zoning out again, are you daydreaming about pizza sweet cheeks?" Val laughs.

"Val —" I roll my eyes, "when am I not thinking about pizza?" I huff and cross my arms, "— And, I told you to stop calling me sweet cheeks!"

"Can't help it sweet cheeks," she says coming over to pinch my cheek. I slap her hand away as she laughs at my misery. "We should get some rest Nate, it's getting late." She says getting comfortable in the makeshift sleeping bed we've made.

I make my way over to her and get under the covers we have, I snuggle closer to her and grab her so her head is resting on my chest. She snuggles into me and I play with her hair, eventually, her breathing evens out and all I can hear is her soft snores which slowly lull me to sleep.

D I A V O L A

We wake up startled hearing gunshots, I blink rubbing my eyes to get the sleep out. Slowly looking around startled my gaze settles on Val, she's frowning looking into the alleyway, I follow her gaze and see three figures standing there. I don't think they've noticed us yet and judging by how calm Val is, she's thinking the same thing.

I sneak a glance at her, seeing her hand rest on her thigh where she has her knife resting, I quickly shift my gaze back to the three figures and they're making their way towards us.

I grab my dagger from my shoe but a hand stops me, frowning I look to Val who puts her finger to my lips telling me to stay silent. She slowly gets up and stands protectively in front of me, the three figures slowly approach us. The one in the middle is the leader, I can feel dominating power radiating off him making me cower back a little into the covers — my movement startles them a little.

The man in the middle frowns a little when he sees me, he then shifts his gaze to Val who stares at him. No one has said a word yet, we're just having a staredown with no one making a move yet. I see the other two men are holding guns in their hands, but not aiming them at us just simply holding them.

"What do you want?" Val glares at them, the man in the middle tilts his head to the side like a curious puppy. Val's fingers twitch near her thigh, ready for something to happen.

"My name is Carlos, this is Steven and Peter, both close friends of mine. What's your name little one?" The man in the middle introduces himself then points to the other two.

"Valentina, and that's Nathaniel." She says pointing to herself than me. All three men move their gazes from her to me, I glare at them and keep any emotion off my face. Val told me to never show any weaknesses including fear.

"Nice to meet you both, what are you doing out here on your own? Aren't your parents wondering where you both are?" Carlos frowns.

Val chuckles, "Yeah, no. We ran away and prefer to be on our own. So you can now run along, shoo, goodbye! It was peaceful till you started shooting at god knows what."

"Little one, I think you should both come with me. We won't hurt you, I swear. It's not safe here, out on the streets. I can give you shelter and food, all I ask is for you both to trust me." Carlos says.

Val looks over her shoulder sneaking a glance at me, I give her a small nod, letting her know I'll do whatever she wants, it's her choice.

"Me fais-tu confiance?" Val says over her shoulder. I reply immediately, "Oui, avec ma vie."

(Do you trust me?)
(Yes, with my life)

Carlos looks back and forth between Val and me, finally settling on Val, "You both speak French?" he asks, raising an eyebrow in amusement.

We don't answer him instead Val walks forward till she's looking up at Carlos, she stares him down before saying, "We will come with you, but if you're lying and you hurt us, I will have your head and anyone that you love will be six feet under, am I clear?" Raising an eyebrow in challenge.

I stand up and make my way over to her grabbing her hand and intertwining them together. Carlos looks down at us and smirks at us, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"I understand Valentina, please —" he gestures for us to follow him with his hand, "follow us, I will take you to my home and get you both settled in."

I'm putting my life and trust in your hands, Val, let's hope we don't regret this, I think to myself.