49 | Real Talks

Someone squeezing my hand hard stirs me in my sleep, "little one —" a voice whispers

Someone squeezing my hand hard stirs me in my sleep, "little one —" a voice whispers. I am so exhausted the sleep consumes me more, ignoring the whisper. Again someone squeezing my hand pulls me back from the darkness, "Val," someone whispers.

Pulling myself from the abyss I flutter my eyes open, squinting through the brightness of the morning light coming through the window, adjusting to the light I sit up from my awkward position half on the bed, half on the chair.

I feel the familiar squeeze on my hand and look down and find Carlos's hand tightening around mine, I gasp looking up and seeing him staring at me with an unreadable expression.

"Carlos, oh my god. You're awake, let me get Marcus." I rush out, panicking a little.

"No. Stay please, with me. I don't want to be alone again, I want you here with me little one," he murmurs, tears ushering his eyes.

I lift my hand to his face and delicately wipe the tears that escaped, I cup his cheek and lean forward and leave a gentle kiss on his forehead, "I won't leave you, Carlos, I promise. How are you feeling? Apart from the obvious, oh my god that was a stupid question I'm sorry," I ramble on not taking a breath. 

"Apart from my unfortunate injuries, I'm fine. I'm here with you, you saved me Valentina like I knew you would. Did you get little Levi as well?" His voice is hoarse.

I rise from my seat and grab the jug on the bedside table and pour him and glass of water, I help him sit up a little and then grab the glass slowly raising it to his mouth and helping him drink the ice-cold water. He mutters a small thank you.

"Yes we got him as well he's asleep right now resting. I'm so so sorry this happened to you, this is all my fault. You should never have been involved in this, I blame myself." I croak out, tears falling from my eyes blurring my vision.

He grabs my hand and laces his fingers with mine, "this is not your fault, don't blame yourself either. I would rather it be me than you, you're like a daughter to me little one. I'd do anything to protect you, even if it means losing my life. I'm just glad you saved us without you being harmed in any way." He smiles at me trying to reassure me.

As much as his words are true I still will and forever will blame myself. I will always have that doubt in my mind. The only way I'm going to come out of this is by ending it once and for all.

"I'm just glad your back safe and sound with me. I don't ever want you or Marcus to leave me again. Please, I know I'm back with my family but I'm sure we can work something out." I plead, gazing into his green irises.

"We'll work something out little one," he smiles kissing my hand.

Marcus and Nate enter the room talking about something but when they see Carlos awake they run over and bombard him with questions, I get up and silently leave them to catch up.