Colonel Peter James Rhodes

Word Counter: 1059

The Avengers were playing UNO when Rhodey's phone rung, so they paused their game to listen to the speaker.

"What's up Pete?"

"I have a break, and I'm pissed at you."

"Peter are you ok?"

"No, I'm not ok. You never told me that you were fu-CKING WAR MACHINE!"

"What was I meant to say? Hi Peter, hope you're doing ok in Syria, just so you know, I'm like, a superhero now?!"

"I CAME OUT TO YOU BEFORE YOU CAME OUT TO ME!"

"Well you were a superhero before I was, weren't you?"

"We literally fought together, when you knew it was me, and you didn't think to take 3 minutes to say 'Hi Peter, I'm the guy in the really cool silver suit that you're fighting with. Don't mind me, I've just been shot out the sky, don't worry though, I'm only fu-CKING PARALYSED. DON'T WORRY PETER! YOU CAN FIND OUT THROUGH A FUCKING NEWS BROADCAST THAT I'M PARALYSED. BUT I'M NOT GOING TO CALL YOU EVEN THOUGH YOU HAVE PERFECTLY GOOD CELL RECEPTION BECAUSE I APPARENTLY DIDN'T THINK THAT YOU CARE ABOUT ME! I CAN'T WALK ANYMORE BUT DON'T WORRY! YOU'LL ANSWER THE PHONE IN 7 MONTHS AND I STILL WON'T TELL YOU!"

The Avengers were silent, sympathetic and amused all at the same time, Loki having a hard time keeping his snickers to himself.

"Peter, don't make it sound like that."

"I'm making sound like what it was. I'm coming home tomorrow. Common floor of Avengers Tower at 2pm. Be there or be square."

A tone singalled the end of the call and Rhodey looked scared.

"Who's that? Secret boyfriend?" Tony teased, nudging his best friend with an elbow.

"Nope. That's my son Tony."

"Wait, that's Peter? Like, THE Peter?"

Rhodey confirmed it with a nod of his head and Tony chuckled.

"I thought you said he was nice and innocent and fluffy."

"He was 4 years ago, and normally still is, but he's honestly quite frightening sometimes."

"Hold up, since when do you have a son?" Clint objected, waving his hands around aimlessly.

"I adopted him 4 years ago, he's my godson, known him all his life. I shouldn't answer too much about his life but you can all meet him tomorrow."

They forgot all about Rhodey's little problem and kept playing card games until they fell asleep, spread all over the chairs, table and floor.

The elevator brought all of them to their senses and there stood a very displeased Peter James Rhodes in his army uniform, metal hand on show with silver discs attached to part of his jaw and chin.

They sat there, still waking up but Rhodey jumped up and stuck out his hand for a handshake, which Peter turned his nose up at

"If you're gonna give me handshake after 7 months, I might just beat your ass back to the airforce base."

They chuckled and hugged before pulling away and Peter turned to the others in the room. "Colonel Peter James Rhodes at your service." He gave a polite wave to which the others returned, they got re-settled down and Peter started answering some questions, Clint jumped in firs.

"So you're actually Rhodey's kid?"

Peter nodded with a small chuckle.

It was Nat's turn. "What's up with the jaw braces and the metal hand?"

"Half of my arm was blown off in a bomb in Syria about 5 months ago after my plane went down. My team dragged me into a cave. I cauterised the wound using a fly-side emergency flare and made an arm out of spare parts of my plane. Connected to a few nerve ending and it works like a normal arm. As for the jaw, I got tortured and they wrecked my stimulus, so no brainwaves go to my jaw anymore. I have to have the metal plated to be able to move my jaw, brain signals go to the metal, not through my body."

Everyone sat there shocked at the young boy who was stood there with a bright smile on his face, gleaming without a care in the world, they were hesitant but continued with the questions, Tony speaking up now.

"Why haven't they heard of you and why haven't I been able to meet you sooner? I heard stories about you but Rhodey always said you were otherwise occupied.

"I've been travelling a lot, a lot of different missions. I'm not normally in the same place for more than a month. Being an enhanced in the field is quite difficult sometimes, I might be ranking with the airforce but I'm an all-round server. Marines, Air-Force and Army, so I'm on a battlefield nearly every day when I'm not travelling between war zones. Otherwise occupied pretty much sums it up."

They all chuckled at that last part and sat there in a comfortable silence before Peter spoke up again.

"Oh dad, I have someone I want you to meet."

Rhodey nodded and Peter whipped out his phone and text someone before putting it away again, falling into another silence before the elevator dinged and everyone looked to see a woman with curly hair, also wearing army uniform but her hat was under her arm as she stepped out.

Peter jumped up and they kissed quickly before turning to the big group.

"Everyone, this is MJ, my girlfriend. She's in the Marines."

Rhodey jumped up and stuck out his hand politely, and MJ shook it.

"It's nice to meet you, Sir."

"Likewise, and please, just call me Rhodey."

She nodded with a smile before laying her head on Peter's shoulder, relaxing into his embrace, before jolting up again, everyone seeing how alert that small gesture made Peter.

"I have to go. I totally forgot about Ellie."

Peter's eyes widened. "Oh shit."

"Sorry I have to go so soon. I'll see you later."

She started walking back to the elevator but Peter called her name, making her stop.

"Take the car." He threw her a pair of keys that she easily caught and waved, stopping when the elevator doors closed.

"How the hell did you change so much kid?"