Part 7

It took a few hours for Eloise to understand and register everything Genesis told her. On the other hand, Genesis was very calm and didn't seem to realize the position he put her in.

His eyes fell over the silent girl from around his book. Eloise was a simple girl and entering SOLDIER was the beginning of her life's plot. Her bright blue eyes were staring at her hands so he couldn't be sure what she was thinking or if she was scared. Genesis sighed and grabbed a hand through his hair. He didn't expect her to be so silent about it after he practically called her a monster. That was not how everything was supposed to go.

"Are you going to stay silent for the whole night?"

She didn't respond but she did raise her head and looked at him. His eyes narrowed at the way she was staring at him with a blank expression. Genesis walked closer to her and moved a hand in front of her face yet she didn't even blink. He stared at her for a few minutes and decided to let her be. He walked into the small kitchen counter and started to prepare tea.

"What do I do now?"

Genesis raised an eyebrow. She sounded so innocent and vulnerable yet those two weren't parts of her personality. He heard her shuffle around and glanced at her over his shoulder.

"Nothing. We have to wait for Hollander."

"After that fight between you, Angeal and Sephiroth, you got hurt, didn't you?" Eloise started, startling the redhead. "You are jealous of Sephiroth, aren't you? He is the perfect man, the one chosen to become a hero. On the other side, there is you."

Genesis turned off the stove and turned to face her. He was very curious where she was going with her new found theory.

"I could say the same to you. There is Zack Fair, the puppy who follows Angeal around yet he improves fast and has big chances to reach 1st Class." He placed his cup of tea on the nightstand and sat beside her. "And there is you, Eloise Fair. A kid who was lucky enough to reach SOLDIER as it is."

Somehow, she didn't feel as bad as she expected. He was speaking the truth. She was still a beginner while Zack had years of training behind.

"Who were you before SOLDIER?" She asked, her eyes enlightening.

Genesis was a person who must have had a lot of secrets. He was different than Angeal and Sephiroth; livelier. He was genuinely feeling the rush of adrenaline during a fight.

Genesis was a little taken aback by her sudden interest. "I was a simple boy who grew up in an ordinary environment."

She furrowed her eyebrows in concentration and stared at him. He looked like there was nothing wrong with his body or his life in general.

"You are lying." She deducted. "Is this your only lie or is something you picked up in Shinra?"

Eloise was quite an interesting girl. She manipulated the whole conversation so that their prior subject got somewhere in the back of their minds. The brunette noticed how affected he was about the sudden change in his body and how much it meant for him to be seen as a normal SOLDIER. He wasn't normal, he wasn't a hero; he was seeing his own person as a monster and that was both sad and pitiful. She couldn't imagine how he felt but she could understand the need to become a hero.

"Aren't you curious about unimportant matters?"

His personality wasn't going to change anytime soon. He was an annoying asshole until the very end.

"Were you the son of the landlord? Or a thief?" Eloise asked. She wasn't a person who knew when to give up.

He sighed tiredly and walked to his door, unlocking it and opening it widely.