Part 10

The next time Eloise woke up was in hospital. She groaned and tried to move but her head was spinning. That was the price she had to pay for saving herself and her fellow SOLDIER mates.

"You woke up."

That voice wasn't Zack's. The man standing on a chair had a red book on his lap and was watching her thoughtfully.

"How long was I out for?"

"Three days."

Her eyes widened and quickly rose on her bottom. Her head was still hurting but her vision was getting back to normal.

The redhead sighed and walked closer to her bed, placing the book aside.

"You used too much energy. What happened in Nibelheim?"

She rubbed her forehead and groaned. "It was a trap. We had to take an important document from some secret source but it never came. We were attacked by three creatures. Karr died, Sky and Matt were badly injured and I-"

"You're fine. The mako energy in your body already healed your arm."

She swayed her arm around, inspecting it before leaning back.

"I failed my first mission."

Genesis raised an eyebrow and leaned closer to her. "It was a trap. Those guys were lucky to have you there."

Eloise could hardly believe Genesis said something nice about her and he could see it in her eyes that she was still registering what he said.

"Tonight, after everyone leaves you alone, come to that lab you tried to sneak into." He added quickly.

"Why?"

Genesis scowled. "We have to talk to Hollander "

That reminded her of the file. She wasn't supposed to read it yet curiosity got the best of her. Hollander and Hojo were acclaimed scientists in Shinra and they worked on Jenova Project.

After Genesis left the hospital room, Eloise remained all alone. She didn't dare ask where the others were, afraid that they might magically appear on the spot.

She had enough time to think about Nibelheim. It wasn't only the summoning of three dangerous monsters that bothered her but the thought that someone went through all that mess to kill them. But what for? The file about Jenova Project was still in her possession.

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts and she tilted her head to the side to see who entered. Two mischievous green eyes looked around before falling on the patient. He smiled boyishly and entered without a problem.

"Good to see you awake! You scared me to death when you fainted in my arms."

She rubbed her eye sheepishly, "Sorry?"

Reno's smile widened and grabbed her hand. She blushed at the sudden contact.

"You know, maybe I can pull some strings and take you with me on the next mission."

She blinked. "Aren't you the connection pilot for SOLDIERs?" Reno nodded his head furiously. "I guess we will see each other a lot, anyway."

For the remaining time, she listened to Reno's stories about his missions, the turks and Shinra's youngest son.

"He's a pest sometimes but he can be likable. He has potential."

Eloise tried not to laugh too loudly but Reno was making it impossible. He even impersonated his boss.

The fun ended when Sephiroth decided to pay her a visit. He had never heard Eloise have so much fun before; it sounded so happy and warm. He opened the door silently and walked in. Her smile cracked when she noticed him.