Chapter 16

"Why don't you just blast some fire from your hand? It's getting cold."

While Eloise was preparing for a night in the desert, Genesis was trying to keep himself busy. His mind was wavering through dark places. Ever since he realized that her blood wasn't going to change his situation, but only stabilize it for limited time, his view over Shinra got darker and darker.

He did try to set up his own tent, but at some point, he became annoyed and blasted a fireball at it. After that, he decided to leave and vent his anger. From the side, it was quite funny to watch him. Eloise was already eating when Genesis returned. He was frowning but was visibly more relaxed.

"You can do it on your own."

He was tired already and they didn't even kill the politician.

Actually, he started to question his mission. Usually, as a high-ranked SOLDIER, he was supposed to protect Shinra or fight against dangerous pests. Yet, he was in the desert with someone who he hadn't seen or talked to in a while.

It was just a few hours ago when he screamed at her and incriminated her that she wasn't able to do anything right. He didn't necessarily mean it but she was the only person whom he could incriminate of something irrelevant.

From what Eloise observed, her tent was ready and pretty while he didn't have a place to sleep in. The consequences of being a prideful smartass were going to bite him in the ass and she was anticipating that.

"That's funny. Your temper got worse. Did my blood do that as a side effect?"

She was messing with him and he was aware of that. He wasn't in the mood to respond with the same tactic so he kept silent.

Eloise raised an eyebrow and crossed her legs.

"Why are you so mad, Genesis?"

"Are you not wondering why we have been paired up?"

Truthfully, Eloise begun questioning Lazard's decisions a long time ago. She still had the Jenova file in her drawer. If someone were to enter her room and open it, she would probably suffer the consequences. Being paired up with Genesis felt more like Lazard wanted them out of the picture for a while. Either that or he wanted to take revenge.

"We have to kill someone who ran into the desert. That's all I need to know for now."

Genesis's eyes travelled towards her body. Somehow, she succeeded to light the fire and fix her tent and was now pondering on his question.

As the moon rose on the sky and the stars started to shine around it, Eloise continued to stare at the flames. Her mind was busy trying to find logical answers for every question she had. She wanted to know more so that she could be able to stand up for Shinra but that was proving to be impossible. Behind steel doors were unveiled secrets. The only one who had an idea about those secrets was Genesis.

"Who am I fighting for? What eyes should I trust?" She wondered.

The creature with red eyes asked her the same thing. People around her were blinded by heroic emotions and were bypassing important details.

The brunette jumped out of surprise when she felt a hand caressing her shoulder. She turned her head to the side and saw Genesis, his eyes twinkling under the moonlight.

"Go to sleep, Eloise."

She stared at him shamelessly. He sighed when he figured she wasn't going to stop anytime soon. Instead of pestering her, Genesis sat beside her.

"Your eyes, are they deceiving me?" She asked out of nowhere.

"Does your question have a purpose?" He responded with another question.