ONE

CHAPTER ONE
daisy

"Wait in the car please

"Wait in the car please." Wanda said and closed the car door before Daisy had a moment to react. At this point in their friendship Daisy knows when to pick her battles with Wanda, and this is one she knows she should sit out on, quite literally. Daisy looked out through the car window to try and spot her grieving friend, but to no avail. It pains her to see her friend hurt like this, having lost Pietro and now Vision, but Wanda is a fighter and Daisy knows that, she just hopes Wanda does too.

Before Daisy could continue her sentimental thoughts about Wanda, her thoughts were interrupted by a familiar ringtone. Daisy pulled up her phone from her back pocket and felt her heart skip a beat when she saw the name on the screen. Quickly she swiped her thumb across the screen and held up the phone to her ear.

"Hi Buck.." Her voice came out smooth despite the butterflies in her stomach.

"Hey Blossom," she heard a deep chuckle on the other end of the line. Maybe she didn't mask her excitement as well as she thought. She couldn't help but smile at the pet name that her love for cherry blossoms had gotten her.

"I miss you, tell me about your day." Bucky continued before it was Daisy's turn to laugh lightly.

"I've barely been out for two hours babe, how can you miss me already?"

"Two minutes is enough for me to miss you, you know that." Daisy nods despite Bucky not being able to see her through the phone call, she did know that.

"Well, I won't lie, I miss you too. I think today has been tough on Wanda, she hasn't told me much since I left the house. Currently we're in this cozy little town in Jersey and she's making me wait in the car while she looks at the houses." Daisy sighed, she wished she knew what they were doing here. She wished she knew how to help her friend.

"God, I can't believe you're in Jersey" Bucky scoffed in disbelief before continuing in a more serious tone;

"But I'm really glad Wanda has you with her at least, she's dealing with a lot of pain, like most of us, but I bet this whole thing hits her harder, given her past."

"I know.. I still worry about her Bucky, I don't know what to do to help her." Daisy sighed again, feeling extremely useless. She turned on the speakerphone and placed her phone on the dashboard of the car before placing her hands over her face, almost covering in shame.

"Blossom, have you forgotten that you are a telepath or..?" Bucky's voice trailed off at the end, underlining his rhetorical question.

"Did you forget that she also is one, loser?" Daisy was quick to throw back.

"She has had me blocked out of her mind since we came back, and even if she wasn't actively blocking me from reading her thoughts you know I would never do that without her permission."

Yes, Daisy's powers allowed her to read people's minds and she could see flashes of their thoughts, memories, and emotions, but that doesn't mean she just goes around reading anyone and everyone's minds.

"I know baby, you're too good for that. I love that about you." She heard her boyfriend reply through the phone. Her boyfriend. Daisy still wasn't quite used to that, the past few weeks having gone by so quickly. She felt her thumb stroking the small inked letters on her right wrist, attempting to calm herself by focusing on her soulmate tattoo.

"Yeah.." She swept her thumb over each letter slowly;  J.B.B. before taking a deep breath and going back to the conversation with a chipper tone.

"Now was there any particular reason for this lovely call Mr. Barnes?"

"Mm.." Bucky hummed on the other side, trying to hide the worry in his voice. For some reason he had a feeling Daisy wasn't being herself, at least not fully.

"I just wanted to see what you were feeling for dinner Miss Dauphine?" He continued with a satisfied smile.

"Hmm, good question. I'm not sure, but maybe we could try sushi from that new place around the co-"

Daisy's voice was cut off and Bucky was met with silence.

"Babe?" Bucky almost whispered, feeling the worry overwhelm him. His voice raised as he repeated his question.

"Daisy!" Bucky's voice became more frantic. He looked down at his phone only to see the screen displaying an unfamiliar little square. Call disconnected it read. Bucky shook his head in confusion, soldier instincts kicking in. He tried calling her again and felt his heart sink when he once again was met with silence, he wasn't even forwarded to voicemail. Not wanting to give up, Bucky dialed her number again and again and again, until he was finally met with a monotone voice on the other end of the line that had him feeling a coldness washing over his body.

"We're sorry, the number dialed does not exist, or there is no call service.."

ᗢ ᗢ ᗢ