TWO

CHAPTER TWO
peony

When Daisy opened her eyes in the morning she found herself in a chipper mood despite the loud alarm clock ringing next to her on the nightstand

When Daisy opened her eyes in the morning she found herself in a chipper mood despite the loud alarm clock ringing next to her on the nightstand. She got out of bed early in the morning and made herself breakfast and a cup of coffee before leaving her house and walking to work while whistling the tune of a song she couldn't quite remember. While on her walk Daisy waved and wished a good morning to a couple of familiar faces and once she finally reached her destination she found herself looking through the windows of a floral shop. As if it was routine Daisy pulled out a keychain from her purse and went to unlock the door. She entered the shop and turned the sign that hung on the door to signal that the shop was now open. Daisy went about her way in the shop as normal, as if she was working from muscle memory, every movement and action was as if she had done it at least a hundred times before. However, Daisy didn't quite remember her day before. She concluded that it must've just been a tiring day and that would be the reason for her clouded memory.

A few hours into the day Daisy had her first customer, her familiar neighbour Dottie.

"Hello Dottie! How may I help you today?" Daisy said once she had spotted Dottie entering her store.

"Morning Daisy! Well, I was on the lookout for some gardenias, but these peonies look just fabulous!" Dottie replied and reached for the pink flowers.

"Aren't they beautiful? I had these delivered just this morning, I feel like the colors would compliment each other quite nicely." Daisy offered and pointed towards the lilac ranunculus in the corner.

"My goddess! These are beautiful, I don't recognize this flower. What are they called?" Dottie exclaimed and moved towards the flowers, dismissing the peonies she had reached for in the first place.

"These are ranunculus flowers, but are also referred to as buttercups!" Daisy replied happily, always excited to share her knowledge of flowers with others.

"Well I just must have these. They would look beautiful in my kitchen!" Dottie replied and started looking around for her next find.

"I'll fix you a beautiful bouquet right away!" Daisy said and went to work. She pulled out a couple of buttercups before moving back to the pink peonies, carefully picking out the prettiest ones. She then moved on to looking for some baby's-breath to fill out the bouquet with, as well as eucalyptus leaves that were also delivered just this morning. By the time Daisy was satisfied with the result of her work she had nearly forgotten she had a customer waiting for her by the register. She quickly wrapped the bouquet up and helped Dottie check out. The rest of the day went by quite similarly, with customers walking in with empty hands and walking out with a bouquet in hand. It always made Daisy happy to see her customers gawking over her beautiful flowers, it made her feel like she was leaving a good impact on their day.

Just as Daisy was about to close up the shop for the day and move on to cleaning before making her way home another customer ran into the store frantically. She almost jumped out of surprise that anyone would come into the shop this late and she was about to excuse herself before she realized that she couldn't quite get the words out.

"Hello there, I apologize for the scare, I'm just looking for some flowers for my wife. I believe it is an anniversary of sorts today." The man said quickly, almost stumbling on his words as he spoke. Finally Daisy felt her lungs relax and she could breathe before replying to the man.

"I normally wouldn't do this, but flowers are a must for an anniversary so I'll make an exception." She said before continuing,

"What are you looking for today Mister.." She trailed off at the end as she couldn't remember the name of the man in front of her. It upset her that she didn't know it because of this lingering feeling of familiarity she felt when she looked at him.

"Oh, you could just call me Vision. And I'm not exactly great with flowers so maybe you could just come up with something fitting?" The man replied. Vision. What a peculiar name, she thought.

"Of course sir. I always find roses fitting for anniversaries so we could start there." She said and moved towards the roses to start the last bouquet of the day. Daisy worked her flower magic and tried to ignore the uncomfortable feeling she felt growing under her skin. A few minutes later she had a beautiful bouquet to present to Vision, who quite frankly, looked amazed by Daisy's skills. Somehow she had created the perfect bouquet for his wife, red, yellow and orange flowers mixing together beautifully.

"Thank you so much." Vision said before he paid Daisy for her services and left the store.

Daisy felt the toll of the day wearing heavy on her. Especially that last encounter, there really was something not quite right about that man. Daisy stopped her fantasies from running too wild, there was no reason to let this feeling ruin her day, it was time to go home and enjoy the comfort of her bed.

ᗢ    ᗢ    ᗢ