FIFTEEN

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

endings, beginnings

Daisy sighed as she closed the door of the refrigerator, not finding anything to temporarily settle her constantly rising hunger with

Daisy sighed as she closed the door of the refrigerator, not finding anything to temporarily settle her constantly rising hunger with. It was dark in the kitchen, the early morning light shining through the windows was the only thing helping her see as she moved around the tiny New York apartment.

She mindlessly walked through the apartment, making sure not to touch anything, not quite knowing her place in the space yet despite having been there for nearly two weeks. She plopped down on the couch and looked at Bucky who had left the bedroom in the middle of the night and was now sleeping on the floor of the living room with a blanket tossed loosely across his body.

Her heart seized up at the sight of him sleeping on the floor. She could see his chest rising and falling quickly, eyes squeezing together as he dreamed. Even though Daisy couldn't use her powers on Bucky she wouldn't have needed to in order to know he wasn't having good dreams. She knew the signs by now, and it always started with him moving from the bed onto the living room floor.

At first, Bucky would wake up before Daisy and lay down on the couch, pretending that's where he slept all night and blaming it on the mattress being way too soft for him. In reality, Bucky wanted to hide the ugly part of his past that still haunted him, the nightmares and the terrors he might carry through when he wasn't fully in control of his own mind. The fear of harming Daisy by accident gnawed at his bones every night as they got ready for bed, feeding into his subconscious in order to concoct dreams that would surpass the horrors of the night before.

Daisy believed him. She believed he needed space and comfort and she convinced herself it was only a matter of time before Bucky would leave her, just like everyone she ever cared about did. Daisy believed him until she had a nightmare of her own and went to look for Bucky in the middle of the night, finding him on the floor with a tiny blanket and a hard throw pillow from the couch. As confusion and uncertainty set in, Daisy walked back to the bedroom with small and careful steps, hoping to not wake up the former assassin.

It took her a few days to work up the courage to ask him about the position she had found him in, anxiety and unreasonable fear washing over her as she spoke to him. They'd reached an understanding, Bucky shared enough for Daisy to settle her fears and a small part of her anxiety for a little while, but the uncertainty of their relationship kept her on her toes. She didn't know where to turn to with all her friends either missing or dead. Bucky was all that she could rely on, and she barely believed that herself. Daisy blamed herself for the situation she was in despite the fact that there were several uncontrollable events that led to the empty apartment she found herself in. Bucky was like a shell of himself, not quite the man she had gotten to know before the decimation and not really the man she had grown to love and care about. The days passed by quickly, insignificant conversations passing them as Daisy moved around the apartment, leaving to train and workout in a weak attempt to keep her old routines alive. Bucky stayed inside most of the time, avoiding people was the way he had decided to deal with everything despite Daisy's advice against it.