SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

awake

The soft morning sun slowly creeped through the glass window, bringing light to the otherwise dark room

The soft morning sun slowly creeped through the glass window, bringing light to the otherwise dark room. As the light reached Daisy's face she instinctively turned away from the brightness disturbing her sleep, groaning as she buried her head into what she thought was her pillow. She could feel something heavy weighing her down by her waist, an unfamiliar yet familiar feeling. Slowly she blinked her eyes open to identify the unknown material that was tickling her skin.

It took her a few seconds to adjust to the brightness of the room, having woken up only moments before. Before she had time to register the view, Daisy felt half of her body rise slowly, before sinking down again. With furrowed brows she turned her head, finally discovering the mysterious material she'd been leaning against.

A broad, dark haired man with a metal arm.

James.

Daisy relaxed back against his soft chest, taking in the view of his tousled hair and peaceful face as he slept. Faint memories of the night before flashed in her mind as she attempted to remember how they'd gotten into this precarious situation. A small smile spread across her lips as the memories flooded her mind. However, the smile was quickly wiped away as more memories followed, muddling up her thoughts as her subconscious screamed at her to wake up.

Wake up from what?

A piercing sound echoed through her head, ear-splittingly loud as the memories continued. Memories of a life unknown, a different family, different friends, different everything. It was overwhelming, each moment of her past life flashing before her eyes, Daisy felt like screaming out loud from the sheer pain of remembering.

She quickly sat up, discarding the weight that held her down by her waist. Her thighs met her chest as she wrapped her arms around her knees, rocking back and forth in an attempt to soothe herself. Tears welling up behind her closed eyes as she forced them back, concentrating on keeping herself together as she felt her psyche nearly shatter into thousands of pieces.

Time was non-existent. Realities unknown as two lives merged into one. Daisy could have sat in that position for mere seconds, or several hours. She had no idea. But finally, the pain stopped and the world was quiet at last.

Too quiet.

Slowly the sounds were replaced by a faint feeling of grief, hopelessness and sorrow. Feelings that only grew stronger as time passed by.

Carefully she opened her eyes once more, looking back at the man sleeping beside her. The tears that had threatened to spill were now falling uncontrollably down her cheeks. Biting back her sobs, Daisy looked at the man. Her soulmate, her boyfriend, her Bucky.

"Sergeant, three-two... five-five.. seven. Barnes." Soft mumbles fell from his lips, startling Daisy slightly before the words were repeated, a bit more clearly this time. Her eyes widened as she recognized what Bucky was saying, she'd heard it countless times before, a side effect of his recurring nightmares. The tears stopped as the dots connected in her mind. She quickly wiped her cheeks with the back of her hands and carefully shook the large man, attempting to wake him up.