TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

forget-me-not

James barely had enough time to get home and change before having to go out again, knowing how much Dani hated unpunctuality

James barely had enough time to get home and change before having to go out again, knowing how much Dani hated unpunctuality. He barely made it to her apartment in time and the look of irritation was almost wiped off of her face as she laid eyes on the bouquet he brought her. It had made her smile a little, but deep down James could still see an unimpressed look behind her eyes. This wasn't new, it happened often in their relationship, but James had already convinced himself that this was what he was meant for in life. Dani was his soulmate and he was hers, they just had to get past some obstacles in life, everyone did.

"James, why are we walking in this direction? The restaurant is on the other side of town. In fact, why are we walking at all?" Her voice was laced with dissatisfaction, they had already been walking for a couple of minutes before she realized there was no car waiting for them at the end of the road. James merely smiled at her and squeezed her hand in his.

"It's a surprise, just wait." He said, not being able to hide the anticipation in his voice. Dani smiled back faintly and kept walking next to him in silence. At one point she relaxed her arm in a way that made her hand slip out of James', she didn't make an effort to put her hand in his again and James understood the hint.

Not in a touching mood.

Until he spotted Dani's friends across the street and then he understood why she had actually let go of his hand.

"Do you wanna say hi?" He asked quietly in case the answer was no, his eyes flickering between Dani and the loud girls across the street. She shook her head and began walking faster, hoping to avoid having to make small talk with her friends while James was there. He had a feeling it was because her friends were disapproving of him. Disapproving of the fact that Dani's soulmate was from an unknown family unlike them. James didn't care about their opinions, but it disturbed him that Dani seemed to care about what they thought. It was rare for him to be invited to hangout with Dani and her friends, she always found an excuse that would make it inappropriate for him to join. He hoped that would change after this night.

As they began approaching the surprise destination James could feel his excitement and nerves rising. He didn't know how Dani would react to his surprise, but he hoped for the best. He had a gut feeling that told him his soulmate would enjoy what he had planned.

"Why are we in the park?" Dani had stopped and spoke out in the silence. It was dark where they stood, green grass and trees surrounding them.

"You'll see if you keep walking." He replied with a smile and motioned for her to round the corner with him. She sighed at his antics and walked towards him. James walked ahead of her so he could turn in time to see her reaction. He spotted the blanket and the candles as well as the picnic basket further ahead and as he walked closer he also saw a man from the company he had hired hiding in the bushes. They had a brief moment of eye contact and James sent him a thumbs up to let him know he could leave.