NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN

a tender heart

Daisy leaned her head on the cold glass of the car window, watching the landscape as they made their way back to New York

Daisy leaned her head on the cold glass of the car window, watching the landscape as they made their way back to New York. The car ride had been especially quiet, mostly because of Daisy's fractured rib and heavy breathing, but also because of the millions of thoughts that preoccupied both her and Bucky's minds.

Bucky had watched as Daisy begged for her friend not to leave her, sympathising with her pain as she watched Wanda leave Westview. In that moment there was nothing more he had wanted to do than to run up to his girlfriend and embrace her, holding up the fracturing pieces of her heart and promising that he would be there to help her heal. Only, Bucky knew that he wasn't the right person to do it.

How could a broken person ever heal someone else?

It was laughable really, the fact that he felt like he even had the right to comfort Daisy after nearly killing her. He knew he didn't. So, he stayed away.

A mindless sigh left Daisy's slightly parted lips, breaking Bucky out of his self-deprecating thoughts and bringing him back to the present. His eyes flicked between her and the road in front of him, checking on her without actually voicing his concern. The small, weary brunette caught his eye out of the corner of her own, turning her face fully in his direction and raising an eyebrow slightly, waiting for his eye to flick to her once more.

She could've sworn that she caught the hint of a smile tugging at his lips, wanting to break free from the stone face that kept it prisoner, but Bucky held back. Clenching his jaw and drilling his eyes into the busy road in front of him. Daisy let her eyes rest on him for a few more moments before giving up and turning her head back to the cold window.

"You're breathing too shallowly." His voice came out flat, cold and emotionless despite the sentiment behind the words that had just spilled past his lips in defiance of his own will. Daisy slowly turned back to face him, eyebrows knit together as she questioned his little declaration. She didn't even know how to respond to it, mind still muddled together from the incessant beating she'd taken. Nevertheless, Bucky hadn't really given her the chance to reply to what he'd said before continuing, eyes still fixated straight ahead of him.

"If you keep breathing like that, you'll trick your brain into panicking because you're not giving it enough oxygen. It's like you're hyperventilating on purpose." He explained quickly and monotonously. Despite the forced monotony to his voice, Daisy perceived a deep sense of worry- nearly desperation- vibrating off of him. Not having nearly enough energy to put up a fight she nodded her head gently, even humming softly to make sure he'd seen her compliance. To be fair, Daisy hadn't been doing it on purpose and it seemed as if Bucky was certain of his words, so there was no point in fighting him even if she'd had the energy to do so.