YEAR I: CHAPTER 5

𝐓𝐚𝐥𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐇𝐚𝐭

We arrived at Hogwarts and it was really not what I expected it would be. I thought it'd be one of those typical schools with just a bell in the front. I stare at it in amazement as we rode on a boat to get there and the inside was just as magical as the outside. We were left by a tall lady who explained what we were supposed to do before we sit down. A Sorting Ceremony. 

I stood close beside Harry and Ron since I was a bit scared of being alone in this place even though it was a bit welcoming. Then something made me grab onto both of them as several people screamed behind us.

"What's going on?" I look behind me. About twenty ghosts had just streamed through the back wall. Harry looked at me. "Oh, sorry," I say and let go of the both of them.

Pearly-white and slightly transparent, they glided across the room talking to one another and hardly glancing at the first years. They seemed to be arguing. What looked like a fat little monk was saying:

"Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance-"

"My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost — I say, what are you all doing here?"

None of us answered.

"New students!" said the ghost named Friar, smiling around at us.

"About to be Sorted, I suppose?" A few of us nodded mutely.

"Hope to see you in Hufflepuff!" said Friar. "My old house, you know."

"Move along now," said a sharp voice. "The Sorting Ceremony's about to start." Professor McGonagall had returned. One by one, the ghosts floated away through the opposite wall.

We formed a line, I stood beside a girl she was a bit energetic than me. I looked up at the ceiling and saw the glittering sky of stars. If I had my camera right now, I'd take a picture of how beautiful it is. I look around and there were about hundreds of students sitting down at their tables. I even saw the boy I bumped into earlier. He saw me and stared back, I look away and started walking again. 

The Professor placed down a very old wizard's hat on a stool. There was complete silence for a few seconds. The hat twitched. A rip near the brim opened wide like a mouth- and the hat began to sing:

Oh, you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your tops hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell brave of heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet wise old Ravenclaw,
If you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folk use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And you won't get in a flap!
You're safe in my hands(though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Everyone applauded after it finished its song. It bowed to each of the four tables and stayed still again. It's not just a talking hat, it's a singing one too, huh. Impressive.

"So we've just got to try on the hat!" Ron whispered to Harry and me. "I'll kill Fred, he was going on about wrestling a troll,"

"Well, that'd be much more interesting," I smirked. I look at Harry who was smiling weakly.

The Professor stepped forward with a list in her hands. "When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted," she said. "Abbot, Hannah!"

A girl with blonde pigtails stumbled out of line and put on the hat, which fell right down over her eyes. There was another silence for a moment.

"HUFFLEPUFF!"

A few people had been sorted some there was plenty of people sorted into Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. Some took a moment to get sorted. Harry and Ron got sorted into Gryffindor, even that girl Hermione. I nervously waited for my name to be called. I look at Harry and Ron who was at their table looking at me. I waved weakly.

"Riddle, Y/n!"

I catch my breath. Okay, that's you. That's you. I slowly walk up and sat down on the stool. There was an awful lot of people staring at me, anticipating which house I'll be put in.

"Another Riddle, eh?" A small voice said in my ear. Another? I furrowed my eyebrows, confused at what it said. "Clever, very clever. Determined and kind. Talented I see... Hmmm... You want to find a missing piece that you've always been looking for. Hmm, perhaps you'll find the answers here..."