YEAR I: CHAPTER 14

𝐖𝐚𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

"We're sorry, Harry!" Hermione wailed while we go inside their common room. Am I even allowed in here? I looked around, and it was the complete opposite of our Common Room. It was bright and-

"What happened?" Harry asked. Right.

Hermione looked at me. I gulped. "Well, remember the plan? Yeah, that... that did not go well," I started, gulping again as I glance down on the floor.

I gasp at Professor Snape, who was standing behind Harry and Ron.

"Good afternoon," he said smoothly.

I was about to greet him, but then I realized we weren't doing that.

"You shouldn't be inside on a day like this," he said, with an odd, twisted smile.

Why is he smiling like that? I thought while looking at him.

"We were —" Harry began, I look at him.

"You want to be more careful," He cut him off. "Hanging around like this, people will think you're up to something. And Gryffindor really can't afford to lose any more points, can it?" I could slightly hear Ron gulp beside me.

We turned to go outside, but Snape called us back.

"Be warned, Potter — any more nighttime wanderings and I will personally make sure you are expelled. And for you, Miss Riddle," He looked at me straight in the eye, I froze nervously looking at him."I suggest you be careful in choosing who to side with. Good day to you." He warned, and then strode off in the direction of the staff room.

Who to side with? I furrow my eyebrows, thinking about it just made me space out.

"Y/n?" I look over at Ron, a little bit startled.

"Yeah?"

"You go with Hermione to keep an eye on Snape, wait outside the staff room and follow him when he leaves it," 

"Why us?" Hermione questions.

"It's obvious," I look at Ron confused. Obvious? "Both of you can pretend to be waiting for Professor Flitwick, you know," He put on a high voice. "'Oh, Professor Flitwick, I'm so worried, I think I got question fourteen b wrong..."

"Oh, shut up," I glare, but we still agreed to do it anyway.

The both of us stood by the staff room, keeping an eye on it so that when Snape comes out we can follow him easily. I felt a bit anxious, but that was the fun part of it.

The door suddenly opened and I froze a bit. I could feel Hermione's breathing fasten.

"What are you two doing here?" It was Snape.

I look at Hermione, she opened her mouth, but nothing came out. Shoot, okay, I'll do this.

"Erm... we're waiting for Professor Flitwick," I say all in one breath.

"Ah, he's just inside... I'll go get him," He said, looking at us with a suspicious look before leaving.

"What're we going to do?!" Hermione panicked.

"uh..." I look around. "Make a run for it!" I say, and we both quickly ran away from the staff room to the Gryffindor tower out of breath.

"Well, that's it then, isn't it?" Harry said. 

We stare at him, he was pale and his eyes were glittering. I kind of felt bad for him... 

"I'm going out of here tonight and I'm going to try and get to the Stone first," He announced.

"You're mad!" Ron and I said in unison.

"You can't!" Hermione added. "After what McGonagall and Snape have said? You'll be expelled!" 

"SO WHAT!" Harry shouted. "Don't you understand? If Snape gets hold of the Stone, Voldemort's coming back! Haven't you heard what it was like when he was trying to take over? There won't be any Hogwarts to get expelled from! He'll flatten it, or turn it into a school for the Dark Arts! Losing points doesn't matter anymore, can't you see? D'you think he'll leave you and your families alone if Gryffindor wins the house cup? If I get caught before I can get to the Stone, well, I'll have to go back to the Dursleys and wait for Voldemort to find me there, it's only dying a bit later than I would have. Because I'm never going over to the Dark Side! I'm going through that trapdoor tonight and nothing you two say is going to stop me! Voldemort killed my parents, remember?"

He's got a point... I look at him and I could tell he really wants to save the school, even if it costs him going to Hogwarts.

"You're right," Hermione said in a small voice. 

"Well, better get planning then," I cross my arms.

"I'll use the invisibility cloak," Harry. "It's just lucky I got it back."

"But will it cover all four of us?" Ron questioned.

"All- all four of us?" Harry stuttered.

"Oh, come off it, you don't think we'd let you go alone?" 

"Of course not," said Hermione briskly. "How do you think you'd get to the Stone without us? I'd better go and took through my books, there might be something useful..."

"Yeah, and besides we're with you through thick and thin! I'll figure out a way to get out of the Slytherin dungeon and meet up with you on the third floor," I spoke. 

"But if we get caught, you three will be expelled, too," Harry stated.

"Not if we can help it," Hermione mumbled and I nodded agreeing. "Flitwick told me in secret that we got a hundred and twelve percent on his exam,"

"And Professor Quirell said I got the highest score in our DADA exam. They're not throwing us out after that," I confidently said.