CHAPTER 7

"I'm making soba tonight, your favorite!"

Shoto looked up from the TV screen and turned his head to see a woman standing a few feet away from him. She had white hair, tied up in braids that nearly reached the floor. She had curvy horns and large white wings that dragged behind her.

"You always make it for me when you're here. You almost don't have to say that you are." He said. His tone was flat and hinting at no surprise, despite having a complete stranger in his house.

Only, she was no stranger at all.

"Ay-yai-yai, hermano. Always so blunt and honest." When she spoke, a thick, spanish accent rolled off of her tongue. She walked along the back of the couch and came to sit beside Shoto. She folded her wings to the best of her ability so she wouldn't hit him.

"You've grown since I last saw you." She held her hand up to his forehead, her pinky brushing his bangs as she did so.

"It's only been two weeks." He pointed out, his gaze shifting back to the TV.

"And yet you still have." She lowered her hand and followed his gaze. Displayed on the screen was Endeavor, Shoto's father. She frowned a bit. She knew that Shoto and his father had nothing short of a bad relationship. It made her stomach twist with sorrow.

Endeavor was being interviewed and praised for his work. Just prior to her arrival, he had pursued a villain and captured him successfully. Now, his accomplishment was being displayed for everyone to see.

Especially his broken family.

Looking around the room, the woman searched for the remote. When she found it sitting on the side table, she reached over to grab it, then turned off the TV. Shoto's head jerked to face her in surprise.

"I was watching that, Misaki." His eyes narrowed and his tone showed hints of hostility.

Misaki's bright yellow eye's flickered to meet him. She knew he shouldn't have been watching, but she was in no position to tell him that to his face.

"Damn, how rude." She said instead, referring to his attitude.

"I believe it's rude to turn off the TV when someone's watching it." Shoto sighed, adjusting his tone to sound less hostile.

"I guess you could say that you had it coming."

"Why's that?"

"Never, in the many years that I've lived in this house, have you ever been so unhappy to see me. What's going on, mi querido?" She leaned in towards him, folding her hands to lace her fingers together.

Shoto just shrugged, his eyes staring blankly into Misaki's.

She sighed, but didn't press him any further.

"Come." She beckoned him to his feet as she stood. She fluttered the tips of her wings before turning and heading back into the kitchen.

"Why?"

"You're going to help me."

Shoto rolled his eyes and stood. He followed Misaki into the kitchen.

----

Thirty minutes had passed. Fuyumi and Natsuo; Shoto's older siblings, had just come home. Misaki was finishing her soba while Shoto went for seconds. Misaki offered some to the other two, and they happily accepted.

All four of them sat and ate.

"How's the agency, Misa-chan?" Fuyumi asked after swallowing a mouthful of noodles.