CHAPTER 51

2 weeks later

"'Great Explosion Murder God Dynamite?!'"

Bakugo grinned proudly to himself as he stared out of the car window with his chin propped in his palm.

"The hell kind of name is that?" Kai asked with two furrowed brows and a hand on the middle seat, leaning in to judge him from close-up.

His grin flattened and he side-eyed her before turning his chin to face her. "You don't like it?" At first, he almost sounded hurt, but then a shit-eating smirk coiled those cockily little lips of his.

"Ha!" Kai laughed. "Do you?"

"You're pretty judgey for someone who doesn't even have a hero name," he scoffed, scanning her up and down with the same judgmental energy. "Guess it makes sense. Heroes have to know how to punch."

Kai's mouth dropped. "First of all, I can punch!" Bakugo mocked her, mimicking her mouth with the opening and closing of his hand. This only pushed her buttons more. Little shit. "Second—!" she grabbed his mocking hand, "—of all, did you just say 'judgey'?"

"What? Thought I should pick up a new language so I can actually understand a damn thing you say." With the way he gazed over at her from the corner of his eye and didn't smile when he said, she knew he meant it. Her expression flattened and she frowned; she didn't find him funny.

"You better pray that you wake up tomorrow."

"Oh yeah? How hard should I pray?" He raised a brow, more amused than Kai.

"As hard as All Might does when he puts on those fugly tights," she said, unable to withhold a smile.

He tried not to laugh. Bastard—laugh at my joke you stupid prick! "I'll take your word for it, nameless."

"I'd rather be called that than Great Explosion... God Dynamite Murderer..." Kai huffed, turning away to look out the window.

Bakugo couldn't stop smiling. And he couldn't stop looking at her.

✩ ✩ ✩

"And then... BOOM! I saved the entire city!" Denki said after dramatically jumping onto the outdoor lunch table while all of class 1A sat around him. Class 1B was sitting at the table a couple feet away; there was no doubt they could hear his nonsense.

The first term was out and it was summer break. Kai had been readmitted to UA and was invited to the training camp along with her classmates. Only, so much time has passed that everyone seemed so foreign; some looked different, stronger, while others were wiser and carried themselves to a higher standard. Some, however, grew to be more egotistical than ever thought possible.

"Sounds like a nice dream, Kaminari," Yaoyorozu smiled sweetly, however doubting Denki's little story.

"You sure you weren't imagining things?" Sero grinned before grabbing onto his friend's shoulders, doing that little shake thing guys do.

"Of course not! I would never lie!" Denki whined, looking at his friends with eyes reflecting betrayal.

"You're delusional," Jiro mumbled before taking a sip from her cup.

"And a horrible liar," Hagakure added.

"Guys!" Denki cried again, looking around the table with puppy dog eyes and a pout on his bottom lip. Settling into an actual chair, he turned to Bakugo. "You believe me, right Bakugo?"

Sitting with his arms crossed and leaning all the way back in his chair, he glared at his classmate from the bottom lids of his eyes with an annoyed frown. "I don't know you."