CHAPTER 28

Kai

I didn't know how much time had passed. All I knew was that I was stealing time from the next dual as I sat there with my eyes plastered to where paramedics stood around Monoma. They carefully removed his body from the rubble and carried him on a stretcher from the arena.

What even happened?  Was all that could run rampant in my head. That wasn't my Quirk... he didn't copy my Quirk.

The phenomenon replayed in my mind over and over again until a kindly touch on my shoulder made me look up. The ringing in my ears connected, creating a high-pitched screeching until my hearing returned.

"Come on, my dear," the hero, Midnight, extended her hand to me. I reached up to take it and she helped me to my feet. "Congratulations on making it to the next round! I've never seen a Quirk like yours."

"Will he be okay?" I asked, dismissing her praise.

"He'll be just fine," she assured me, placing a hand on my shoulder again. "Recovery Girl is already treating him. He should be awake by the time your next match starts." I swallowed hard and nodded, trusting that her words were true.

I tucked my hands under my arms and pulled my wings back into my body. I turned from Midnight and headed for the staircase. Before reaching the first step, I paused. With a single motion, I turned my head to where my parents stood. But they were gone. I wasn't disappointed, I knew this would happen. So I washed my hands of it and moved forward like I always did.

I didn't realize it until then, but the crowd was full of cheers. They chanted my name and their smiles were full.

I don't know what it was, but my insides began to feel warm. The tips of my fingers and toes tingled. My eyelashes fluttered. Never, in all my days, did I think I'd be cheered for. Not by hero enthusiasts, anyway.

With a smile, I made my way down the steps and disappeared into the tunnel that brought me here. I walked through the empty hallways with my arms wrapped around my body. That was the only comfort I could give myself. There was no one else to hug.

And I needed that comfort.

That wasn't my Quirk. It wasn't even remotely similar. I had so many questions, but who could I ask? Maybe I was just being paranoid. Maybe Monoma could store multiple Quirks and somehow pulled that last move in clutch.

No...

The look in his eyes said otherwise. The look of terror glossed over, proving that what had happened wasn't the power wielded by any of his past opponents. But then again, the explosion didn't knock me out of the ring. It hardly affected me compared to him. But why didn't—couldn't—he copy my Quirk?

My head began to pound the more I thought about it. None of it made sense. And I'm sure I'm not the only one confused by the events—and I won't be the only one asking questions.

I made it to the other side of the facility where a pair of stairs led to the upper level where spectators sat. Walking up those stairs, I found my classmates clustered at the very end.

"KAI! Over here!" Uraraka called to me. I planted my hand on the railing and climbed my way to them. All of their attention had pulled to me and some made their way over.

"That was insane!" Some praised.

"Nice win, Kai!" Mina and Mineta cooed.

"What was that explosion? That didn't look anything like your Quirk!" Denki questioned, laughing it off like it wasn't out of the ordinary.

I nervously smiled, suddenly feeling overwhelmed and cramped as they surrounded me. "Thanks, guys."

"But seriously," I turned my head to see Tokoyami with his arms folded, "what happened down there?"