CHAPTER 53

She thought it was a dream, sneaking into Bakugo's room. But when her multi-colored eyes peeked through her mascara-smudged eyelids, she was quick to find that it wasn't a dream at all.

Sandwiched between her anxiety and Bakugo's chest, she lay frozen for a moment, trying to process. In the meantime, Bakugo slept peacefully with his arm still wrapped around Kai's torso, only grunting a few times to disturb the quiet. Blinking at her surroundings, her waking brain finally registered her dire situation. Oh fu—!

In a whirl of panic, she scrambled out of bed and threw the covers off of herself, ripping away from Bakugo's embrace and rolling away from him. He woke with a jolt, instantly jumping up as if he were ready to fight a villain.

"WHAT?!" He yelled, eyes wide and chest heaving. "What what what?!" His voice was raspy, the result of a good slumber.

"Somebody will see us!" Kai whispered, rolling away again before getting onto her feet.

Bakugo's face deadpanned, emphasizing the darkness under his eyes. "You're fucking kidding me," he grumbled.

"Why are you so calm?" Kai snapped back, still whispering. She went to the door, slid it to a crack, and peeked outside of it.

"Because you're being dramatic!" he barked, not whispering.

"Oh yeah?" Kai turned around with wide eyes. "I'm sure if Kiri and Denki found out you wouldn't think so!"

Then it hit him. Eyes shooting wide, he got to his feet while mumbling his grumpy noises. The thought of being verbally tormented by those two idiots sounded worse than death. He wasn't strong enough to take that chance.

"I hear something," Kai whispered when she felt Bakugo come up behind her. It wasn't long until he was gently pushed up against her, taking a look for himself through the crack in the door. "They're waking up."

Huffing, Bakugo reached over her head and grabbed the edge of the door before sliding it all the way open.

"HEY—" Kai spun and erupted with fury, but was contained by the hand Bakugo used to cover her mouth.

"Shut it or they'll hear you!" He hushed through his teeth. Uncovering her mouth, he spun her back to face the doorway and pushed her.

Stumbling out, Kai whipped to face him with her expression painted in shock and confusion. Throwing her hands up, she yelled through gritted teeth, "What the hell are you doing?!"

With a shit-eating grin, he leaned out with both arms extended, propping himself with the wall and door. "I'm not the one who snuck over to the boy's quarters."

"Katsuki!" Kai barked. Now she was pissed.

"I'd get moving if I were you," he winked, still smirking like an idiot. But before Kai could lunge at him, he retreated behind the door and closed it.

Jumping back when he slammed the door in her face, she sucked in her lips and groaned. But her frustration was soon overthrown with a new energy and she began to chuckle. She was going to get him back for this.

After plotting in front of the door for far too long, she pivoted and began to make her way down the hallway at a quick pace. She made sure to walk on her toes, careful to make as little noise as possible. But the second she turned the corner, the universe made it clear that it would test her luck today.

"Todoroki!" She exclaimed, nearly bumping into him. "Wh—you—"

"What're you doing on this side?" He asked in monotone, eyeing her through a narrow gaze, looking tired as ever.