CHAPTER 9

Kai returned to the group, finding them in the center of the dome; they were all listening to Thirteen give a speech about U.S.J. and the assignment at hand. It seems that none of her classmates had noticed she had gone off on her own, but Kai could feel them watching her closely, even if it wasn't obvious.

"You shall learn how to use your quirks to save people's lives." Thirteen explained. "I hope you leave here with the understanding that you have the power to save people."

Misaki was standing off to the side, her back facing the group. She felt a sense of unease in the air, but she couldn't detect where it was coming from. She turned her head to examine Thirteen and class 1-A. There was tension. She could feel that but... there was something else.

"That is all. Thank you for listening!" Thirteen finished speaking and ended with a bow.

"So cool!"

"Amazing!"

"Bravo! Bravo!"

The students raved with excitement as the pro hero finished speaking. Kai, however, stayed silent. Her eyes never left Misaki as she prepared for what was coming next.

"Alright then, let's get st--" Aizawa was interrupted by the sound of sparks circling the upper part of the dome. To follow, the power began to go out and the simulated disasters began to shut down.

In the distance, one of the fountains started to flicker as the power went out, and as it did so, it began to contort into a warp. It wasn't too long until it was outlined in black and purple fog. It grew and grew until it stretched out across the entire fountain.

A hand came through the warp, opening up to reveal a face covered by a hand.

Aizawa's normally sleepy face washed over in solicitude.

"Gather together and don't move!" He ordered.

Misaki outstretched her wings, spanning over the width of the class to shield and protect them.

"Thirteen! Pyre! Protect the students!"

Everyone watched their teachers shift into a completely different demeanor. Their once excited expressions overflowed with panic and confusion.

"W-what's that?" Kirishima stuttered.

Where the warp had formed, Shigaraki had come out completely. He stood at the entrance, soon to be accompanied by dozens of more villains who, too, came out of the warp gate.

Kai stepped away from the group slightly. She pulled her mask over her nose and brought the hem of her hood over her head to cover her eyes.

"Is this like the entrance exams where the lesson has already started?" Kirishima asked, lifting his arm to the side of his face. Those who stood in the front of the cluster of students began to step forward as if they were wondering the same thing.

"Don't move!" Misaki ordered. Her wings remained outstretched, continuing to shield the students.

More and more villains began to make their way through the warp gate, gathering at the far end of U.S.J.

"This isn't a game. Those are real villains." As she stood there, bright white flames began to engulf her body. The flames flickered from the ends of her hair all the way down to her feet. Even her wings blazed with bright flames; daring anyone to come near.

Gasps erupted from the throats of the students.

"What do you mean those are real villains?" Someone cried out.

"I thought this was rescue training!"

The only one who didn't seem to be fazed by the current situation was Bakugo. He stood in his spot, a toothy grin covering the majority of his face.