CHAPTER 54

Kai sat with her knees pulled against her chest while she stared at him. Midoriya. Since dinner, she couldn't keep her eyes off of him. Now, as all of class 1A sat in a circle, ready to play yet another round of Truth or Dare, she continued to watch him through focused eyes and pinched eyebrows. She couldn't figure it out.

Why does it matter that he's All Might's successor? Why does my head tell me that it's important to know that?

Midoriya was oblivious to her eyes. He continued to go about his day with her stares going unnoticed. Or did he notice and was ignoring it? She couldn't figure that out either.

"Okay, who wants to start?" Mina asked with a toothy grin, clapping her hands together in excitement.

"I will!" Mineta jumped up with his hand raised.

But all of the girls in the room protested when they identified his goals. "No," Mina decided abruptly, turning away from him with her chin upturned. "Anyone else?"

"I'll never understand why you guys like this game so much," Jiro sighed, sliding back against the wall.

"Because we get to learn each other's deepest, darkest secrets, Jiro!" Denki smirked from across the way.

"Lovely." She yawned.  

"I'll go first," the invisible chick, Hagakure, volunteered.

"Go for it."

"Okayyy, ummm..." Hagakure started. Though it was impossible to tell, she looked amongst her classmates for her first victim. "Oh! Iida! Truth or dare?"

The boy in glasses was shocked to be picked first. Adjusting his specs, he straightened himself. "Truth."

"Boo!" Hagakure giggled. "Anyways, is it true you tried to kill Stain in Hosu?"

Much like everyone else in the room, Kai's eyes darted to stare at Hagakure, then Iida. Stain... She remembered them mentioning Stain back at the hospital. Midoriya was in Hosu... Her eyes somehow managed to fall back onto the freckled boy sitting across the circle from her. Narrowing her gaze, she prodded her memories. They defeated Stain in Hosu.

Heart thrumming against his chest, Iida held his breath for what felt like minutes. He was appalled that she'd ask such a question. Especially with how vocal he was about his guilt. "Yes, it's true." He admitted, clearing his throat. Quickly, before Hagakure could urge him to elaborate, he turned to Denki at his flank. "Truth or dare, Kaminari?"

"Dare!"

Adjusting his glasses again, an evil smile perked on Iida's tight lips. "I dare you to show us your camera roll." The others erupted in giggles and side conversations. Kai could hardly hear herself think.

Denki turned pink in the face and a single drop of sweat rolled from his temple. He began to stutter and make excuses, saying that his phone was dead or something along those lines.

"Nope, nope," Iida grinned, beckoning for his phone with his hand. "Hand it over, Kaminari."

"Yeah, let's see it, man!"

"C'mon Denki! Show us!"

"You hidin' something, Kami?"

With the face of a tomato, the poor boy slid his cell from his pocket, reluctantly handing it to Iida. Everyone immediately gathered around, pushing and shoving to see what their classmate was hiding. They all cried with laughter at the endless candid pictures he'd taken of himself. One of the class favorites instantly became a picture of him slipping on ice; courtesy of Kirishima and his immaculate photo-taking skills. Others consisted of crying pictures, short-circuited pictures, some Midnight fanart, and a photo or two of Jiro.