CHAPTER 15

Bakugo kept a steady pace, never glancing back to see if Kai was following behind him.

Though, Kai was slowly following his path. She was too angry to keep close or to hold a conversation; despite it being nearly impossible to hold a conversation with him anyway.

Her head was tilted towards the ground and she menacingly stared at Bakugo through her eyebrows. He wasn't to blame for what had just happened, but there was no one else to glare at.

Her hands were stuffed into her sweatshirt pocket and her shoulders were hunched into her ears. Yaoyorozu's words clung to her for the entire way, playing in her mind on repeat. What Yaoyorozu had said hadn't bothered her, but the fact that she was right made Kai itch with rage.

It was irritating that her task was progressively difficult when her last name came into view. Now, her chances were tarnished because everyone else was on edge.

No matter. They'll all become casualties in the end. Kai assured, calming her nerves. If only that damn screw-up hadn't opened her mouth at U.S.J., none of this would be an issue.

Shaking her head, Kai's senses came back to her and her consciousness regained. Her eyes widened as she realized that her surroundings had changed. Thankfully, Bakugo was still in view.

Kai came to a stop when Bakugo turned towards a large house with a paved entryway. Before he passed the wall that somewhat enclosed the property, he did a half-turn towards Kai, his red eyes narrowed.

"Catch up, will you?" His tone was filled with annoyance as if he regretted inviting her to his home.

Kai glanced at him before examining the exterior of the house. It was huge but well maintained. The landscaping around the walls was a nice touch, giving off a kind of warmth that Kai wouldn't expect from a place that Bakugo called home. She honestly expected him to live in a dark and brooding shack with excessive detailing, but that wasn't the case.

Nonetheless, she hesitated. The last time she had been invited over was...

Asa. Souta. The memory of her childhood best friends being trapped by flames and smoke made her stomach turn. She didn't want the same thing to happen again.

While she stood in silence, lost in her mind, Bakugo's patience grew thin. He would let out an audible growl of ire. He fully turned back and walked towards her. He reached out his hands, and this action brought Kai out of her daze. She shunned away from him, her eyes flickering to him to give him fair warning: Don't touch me.

Bakugo got the memo and backed away from her, but he waited until she moved before following alongside her.

The two made their way up the path and towards the front door. Taking the lead, Bakugo stepped up onto the porch's single stair and pulled out a house key from the pocket of his pants. Putting the key into the keyhole of the front door, he twisted his arm to unlock the door. He grabbed the doorknob and opened the door, stepping inside.

Kai examined the doorframe before following him inside. The inside was large and spacious, professionally furnished with complimentary details.

"Nice place." Kai complimented.

"Quit the small talk." Bakugo snorted before continuing inside, indicating for Kai to follow. He hurriedly made his way to the staircase, but his efforts were interrupted by a voice from upstairs.

"IS THAT YOU, KATSUKI?" The voice hollered.

Bakugo's aura of irritation abruptly grew when the voice intercepted his plans.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK?" He yelled back.

Kai stood behind him, her eyes widened. His sudden aura change set her on high alert. She pulled her hands out of her pocket and placed them on the stair railing. Looking up, a woman with spiky ash-blonde hair, red eyes, and a youthful appearance came into view from the top of the staircase. She wore a white shirt with a purple sweater on top and a charcoal black skirt.