CHAPTER 35

The days had come and gone. Kai remained admitted to the hospital, slowly regaining her strength before she could be released.

Her Quirk was dormant, taking its time before returning to her body. But she didn't use it. She was afraid to.

But her memories were slowly coming back day by day and she could recall bits and pieces of her life before the incident. And by the time the third day rolled around, she could remember all of her classmates' names without stuttering.

Pierce couldn't come. Said he was "working"—whatever that meant. But everyone else came right after school to talk her ear off about all the things that had happened since she'd been gone.

She learned that everyone had started their work studies, branching off with heroes who took interest in them at the Sports Festival. Some of them took off to stay in other cities to learn from their mentors. One of the cities being Hosu, Kai was alarmed to learn that Iida, Midoriya, and Todoroki had encountered another threat. Another villain.

Stain. She repeated to herself when Iida described the fight to her. She hadn't heard of him, but by Midoriya's description, he was a villain whose ideology followed the fucked up idea that the world needed to be cleansed of "fake" heroes by killing them. He was a mass murderer that nearly killed Iida's older brother, who had been an aspiring prospect for the career.

After Stain was imprisoned, Kai's classmates returned to U.A. for their final exams. Hearing about it made Kai relieved to have missed it.

"—psh, you should've seen it! Bakugo and Midoriya barely passed the exam!" Mineta laughed hysterically while spilling out the story.

Tsu cackled, her tongue coiling in amusement. "Bakugo would kill you if he were here."

"I wouldn't say that, Mineta," Midoriya countered with a frown. "All Might is a tough opponent for anyone."

"Besides," Tokoyami spoke with his eyes closed in irritation, "you ran away from your fight. You have no room to talk."

"Not true!" Mineta rose to his feet with his hands wrapped in fists. "Ms. Midnight said she admired my plan!"

Kai watched them argue back and forth with amusement glittering in her eyes. Since waking from the coma, she'd become more attentive. She was engaged, intrigued—something her friends took notice of.

"Next month we're starting up our training. Mr. Aizawa said it'll be a training ground in some forest," Kirishima switched topics. "You think you'll be good to go by then?"

Kai shrugged. "Should be outta here in a couple days."

"How exciting!" Hagakure, the invisible girl cooed.

"Don't push yourself too hard, though." Shoji's soft gaze widened knowingly.

Kai chuckled. "I won't," she promised. But something dragged in the back of her mind:

I can't leave if they don't show up.

Catching her smile slipping, she perked up again and forced a yawn before anyone could question if something was wrong. "I think it's time for me to turn in. Same time tomorrow?"

"You know it!" Denki winked before clicking his tongue against the roof of his mouth. Kai rolled her eyes with a smile. That boy...

"Wouldn't miss it," Uraraka brushed her hand over Kai's shoulder before leaving the room.

"Get some sleep, ok?" Sato said, pointing at her before disappearing through the doorway.

Kai waved them off until only one remained.