CHAPTER 20

The rest of the car ride was still and silent. Kai kept to herself, only sending glances in her mother's direction to analyze her faint movements.

She remained as calm as possible, but her mind ran frantically. 'We have an audience' her mother said. What did that mean? It was always Dr. Kyudai, Kai, and occasionally an extra guest. That was it. Her mother was never there, that was for damn sure.

The car slowed as it reached the entrance of Dr. Kyudai Garaki's laboratory. They pulled through once the gates opened, leading them to a multi-story building. Kai's blood ran cold, nerves striking her demeanor. They pulled around to the front entrance, providing Hana and Kai access to the steps that lead to the front doors.

"Try to be respectful while we're here, will you?" Hana asked before pushing the car door open. Without thanking, not even glancing at the driver, she left.

Kai slid over to open the door. She looked over her shoulder to look at the driver. Still, she couldn't pick up anything from him. He faced forward, his face still covered by a thick mask. Her eyes softened and her eyebrows furrowed.

"Thank you." She said before hopping out of the car.

Her mother was nearing the top of the steps. Looking up, Kai noticed that she was wearing her top-of-the-line white fur coat over her crimson, skintight dress. Kai's body trembled.

Today was an important day.

She hurried up the steps after her mother, her heart pounding out of her chest. She began to fidget with her fingers and chew on her bottom lip. Once she reached the top, her mother was leaning over to speak into the security system that kept the building locked up.

A voice echoed back, staticky and unclear, "Come in." At that, the two doors that guarded the building opened for their entrance. Hana frowned at the unfolding scenery, pulling her sunglasses from her face.

Despite Kai having come here numerous times before, she still hadn't gotten used to the darkness. The inside was illy decorated like an abandoned office with scarce, old furniture. The lights above flickered in and out and dust particles glimmered whenever the lights flashed. Kai's nose twitched as the gathering dust greeted her face. She held back a sneeze, knowing her mother would scold her for it.

"Come now." Hana beckoned, heading further into the room. Kai squinted against the darkness, looking for the elevator at the other end of the room. A blazing red light above it caught her eyes. She hesitated, examining her surroundings before following her mother.

When they reached the strange door, it made a dinging noise before opening, the light above turning green. Hana stepped inside without hesitation. She turned around to eye Kai, folding her sunglasses.

Kai knitted her brows together as she scanned the elevator. Slowly, she stepped inside, standing as far from her mother as possible. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught Hana huffing with a smirk. She leaned in once the door closed and pressed the button that led to the lowest level. Shortly, the elevator shifted as it started making its way down the elevator shaft.

"What are you doing here, anyway?" Kai questioned with thinned patience, her tone of voice cold as ice.

"Don't be such a brat. I'm here for you." Hana snapped back, tucking her glasses into the v-line of her dress.

"You're so full of shit." Kai laughed, astonished by those four words. She didn't believe them, not for one second. "You've never been there for me. What's changed?" Hana didn't reply, she just shifted in her heels, clearing her throat from discomfort.

Does she feel guilty about any of it? For any of the hate? Kai eyed her. Sixteen years and no apology or explanation. Fuck this.

The elevator hit the bottom floor, the two shifted inside, having to regain balance before the doors opened. When they did, a large room littered with neon purple hues and science equipment panned out in front of them. Huge tanks filled with toxins lined the walkway, tables with cables and needles rested off to one side. A wall full of monitors and a staircase were displayed at the end of the room.