CHAPTER 18

Snow had no longer fallen and the clouds that once covered the sky had cleared. The ice underfoot had melted away and vibrant streaks of green poked through. Even after the sky had cleared, it was still bleached black, stars barely dazzling its midnight hues.

Kai stood over Pierce with her sword only one swift movement away from slashing his neck. Her eyes were cold as they glinted menacingly in the dark. Her eyebrows were furrowed, folding into her eyelashes and creasing the bridge of her nose.

"Who sent you?" She growled, the freckles on her face coming together like connect-the-dots.

"No one, I swear it." The boy spoke with a faint Australian accent. Kai's head tilted in curiosity. By the looks of it, she could tell they were about the same age.

"You're not from here, are you?" Kai asked, narrowing her gaze into slits.

"Nah. Came here from Australia. The Alps." He explained, his hands still overhead. His eyes were wide, hoping to make it out in one piece.

"Why were you following me?" Kai began to twirl the blade's tip over Pierce's throat.

There was a moment of silence as the boy sought for the words that would keep him alive. It wasn't until moments later did he respond, "Read about you back in Aussie. Ya know about the feds, eh? They're looking for your old man," Kai's expression contorted into a frown and her grip on her sword tightened, "little did they know that he had a daughter."

Kai's eyes widened and she lowered the blade. Her stare was unwavering as the boy spoke. What he was saying couldn't possibly be true? Could it? No, there's no way her name could've made its way into the world.

"What are you talking about?"

"Someone got an anonymous tip, saying your name was plastered in the center of a really big room. No one's interest was sparked until 'Hasaki' was the first name they saw."

Kai reeled the blood back into her body, her mouth slightly parted. She stepped away from Pierce and turned away. She pressed her fingers to her forehead, trying to process.

He's lying. He doesn't know what he's talking about. She tried convincing herself. But how did he know that I'm...

She looked over her shoulder at the boy who was now slowly coming to a stand. As he rose from the ground, his stature grew taller and taller until he stood to be about 5'11. He had a fit physique and a sharp jawline. His blue-colored hair was slightly curled and hung over his eyes. He stared down at Kai, a faint smirk curling the corners of his mouth.

It wasn't until that moment did Kai understand what he was after. He wanted a reward, he wanted leverage. If he got a hold of her, he could obtain anything he desired.

Her cat-like pupils shrunk with disgust. Her lips parted in a snarl and her eyebrows furrowed once again. She crossed her arms over her chest as she stared him down over her shoulder.

"This is only going to end poorly for you." She hummed, her tone filled with threat.

"Sorry mate, I need this. Can't have another Hasaki threatening my family." Pierce shrugged. He began to fidget with his fingers as he took a few lagging steps forward. His face was cast down, but his eyes deviously peered through the gaps in his hair.

Kai scoffed and smiled, turning her head back around. Her back faced him before she shifted her weight. She turned, a smirk rising on her face.

Pierce cockily looked down at her. He shoved his hands into his pockets and bent over slightly to mock her height. Kai took a few steps toward him, gliding her fingers over her nails. A faint chuckle would escape from her throat. In the blink of an eye, a dart rope shot out from the palm of her hand. The blood pierced through his shoulder, causing him to wince in pain.