CHAPTER 32

Bakugo

Before I knew it, our names were called into the arena for the final match. The winner would be determined after today and I had no idea what Freckles was thinking.

But I forced myself not to care.

This was the time to settle things. To declare the winner once and for all. I fueled my irritation into anger, to make sure that it would be me who won.

But I knew this wouldn't be an easy fight. Much less a win. Freckles had emotions that no one would ever learn to exist unless they experienced them firsthand. And part of me itched to see what it looked like in combat. She had a lethal Quirk – we all saw it in her fight against Icyhot.

This would be our first fight using our Quirks. We both knew that she could win if she wanted it badly enough. But I know she doesn't. And I sure as hell won't let her win out of pity. I'll make her fight for every punch, for every breath. I've been waiting for this moment; for an opponent strong enough to call competition. But no matter what, I'll be number one.

✩ ✩ ✩

Kai

I was the last to make it out onto the platform. My eyes dragged with my feet as I climbed the stairs, tugging on the collar of my new shirt. The cheering from above was muffled in my ears as they were already occupied with the beating of my own heart. I felt tired, faint. I was aware of how much blood I had lost, but that didn't stop me from reaching the top.

One more. I told my body. After this, you can rest.

The sun's rays were blinding once I stepped onto the platform, shading me from the crowd that wrapped all around me. I turned along them, scanning the entire stadium before pausing. My eyes stopped, locking with a fiery gaze that stared back. His face was cold, his body language uninterested. It made my eyebrows pinch. Never did he look at me like this. For once, he didn't smile at me or watch me with a warming glint in his eyes. The care that he once held for me was gone from his beautiful red eyes.

I felt my heart squeeze, my hands clenching.

He looked away, his eyes trailing to where our classmates sat and gathered. My heart throbbed even more.

"It's finally the last battle for the Sports Festival!" Present Mic's voice echoed throughout the stadium, riling up the crowd. I knew what was coming next, so I cupped my hands over my ears and let his voice fade. I realized that my last name would trigger me, much like it had back during my spar with Kirishima.

While sitting in the hallway alone after leaving Katsuki, I thought about that. And I thought about all the times when someone said my name out loud and I blacked out. My parents did that, I didn't even have to ponder.

When I figured it out, I knew that I couldn't let it get to me in the final fight. I didn't want to hurt Katsuki like I've hurt everyone else.

But I won't lose to him, either.

With my hands still over my ears, I looked back to Katsuki, looking for signs that the fight had started. When I did, his mouth was moving and his expression was brushed with bitterness. He was talking to me. I slowly removed my hands, the sounds no longer muffled.

"Too much?" Katsuki said loud enough that only I could hear.

"What?"

He made a 'tch' noise and barely smiled. "I don't want to hurt you, so don't expect me to."

My upper lip glitched with an amused grin. I shrugged, "then you might as well step out of bounds now."

He shook his head, a genuine smile forming. There you are. I thought. He positioned himself into a ready stance and nodded to me. I lifted my chin to him, a chokuto sword forming inside my closed hand.