Chapter 23

Astril

I stormed out of the pack house. My blood was boiling and I could swear steam was coming out my ears. I'm sick of him thinking I'm just some trophy. Gods forbid someone looks at me and he loses his shit. So pathetic!

I find a can laying in the yard and chuck it as hard as I can. It clatters into the street in front of me rather disappointingly.

"That was some show back there." Shays voice startled me.

"Just kind of lost it I guess." I shrugged, trying to keep my cool.

"He did kind of deserve it." She chuckled as she walked up to me. "Guy's been a real jerk lately."

"I'm tired of him treating me like property rather than a partner." I vented. Shay has always been easy to talk to. She should be alpha...

"It's the alpha mentality. Marxian feels pressured to make sure everything's okay with his pack. He doesn't realize how he's actually been hurting them instead." She replies. "Honestly, I'm glad you said something. Anyone else is too afraid to stand up to him." 

"I guess so." I shrugged. Why do I feel like I just made things worse?

"Come one, Krystal is taking the girls to get ready at her place. We've got a couple hours before the game, I'm sure the guys will cool off before then." Shay wrapped an arm around my shoulders and led me to where the girls were packing into Krystal's Range Rover, my hands still tingling as my magic pulses through my veins.

There's a storm coming, I can feel it.

Rogers

"You're a dictator!" I hear Astril yell from downstairs. What I'm the world? I turn around and jog down the stairs just in time to see her storm out the door with Shay close in tow. Marxian stands on the same place looking like he just got slapped in the face. Can't tell if he wants to hug something or rip it to shreds.

"What happened?" I ask. Zeke shakes his head with a warning look. Marxian breaks out of his shock and comes charging towards me. My wolf raises its hackles, ready for a fight and I brace myself.

"Oh you fuck off!" He shoved past me and goes to him room upstairs. I catch myself on the counter.

"Again, what happened?" I ask.

"Marxian tried to put Astril in her 'place' and she didn't take it very well." Mathew shyly answers me.

"Good." I chuckle "About time someone stood up to him." I grab a beer from the fridge and take a long gulp while the guys pick up the overturned table. No one says anything for a while and the air hangs heavy. I can feel the uneasiness of the pack. Our alpha is being challenged, again. This time by non other than his own mate.

I can feel a slight electric charge in the air and I remember the violet hue Astril emitted back at the bonfire. Is this from her? Perhaps she has more power than any of us realized. My wolf begins pacing, it can sense something that I can't. Something big is coming our way and I can't imagine it's going to be pretty.

Marxian

Has everyone lost their minds?!
I punch my pillow and send it flying off my bed. After the fight with Astril, my whole pack looked at me like I was the bad guy. How am I supposed to control a whole pack when my own mate won't even listen to me?! And Rogers...

"Fuck!" I burst. Just then, my phone beeps.

Tobias: After tonight's game, we have some business to settle.

"Oh great!" For a second I forgot all about Tobias and his threats but now I have that to worry about on top of everything else. I need to pull it together.

I go to my bathroom and splash some cold water on my face. Looking up into the mirror, I can see my eyes glowing a brighter yellow than usual. My wolf is begging to come out. Not yet.

After a few deep breaths, I gather my thoughts. Fuck Rogers, he may be pushing his limits but he knows better. He would never cross the line. He knows the consequences. As for Astril, I'll just deal with her later. I was a bit harsh and should have known better with her independent spirit. She too will come around. First, I need to focus on the game. Professional football team scouts are going to be watching as well as Alphas from the different packs. I need to really show my stuff. After the game, I can handle Tobias. He talks a big game but I know I can take him. We'll have a good tussle but I should be able to overtake him without seriously injuring myself.

As for my pack, they will remember who runs this pack after I take out Tobias. Law states we fight until one surrenders or dies. I just hope I don't have to go for the latter.