Chapter 2

2 Years later...

Astril

Fall at Wisteria is easily my favorite time of the year. It's still early enough to have some sunny days but the rain mostly takes over, adding a dreamy vibe to the campus. The air buzzes with students getting ready for finals and planning their fall breaks. My own finals are coming, forcing me to spend my spare time at the campus cafe. It's a quiet place where I everyone goes to crunch in as much studying as possible as well as fuel the caffeine addiction problem that seems to run rampant. Today is no different.

The rain is lightly tapping on the glass window I'm sitting under, adding to the soft music playing through my airpods. If my mother knew I even owned these thing, she'd have a stroke. I smiled to myself, remembering her going off on another lecture when I visited last Beltane on how toxic cell phones are. My Autonomy of the Supernatural book lay open with my notepad open and already collecting scribbles to the side. A hot matcha latte warmed me up as I sipped and watched students pass by. Each one seemed to wear the school colors in one way or another. Wisteria proudly branded itself in maroon and silver with a great crest of the Wisterias, the vampiric family that originally founded the school. Even I was wearing a school sweater over my bell-bottomed pants and sandals, a matching bandana wrapped around my forehead and round-rimmed glasses sitting lightly on the bridge of my nose.

I took a deep breath and mentally prepared myself to get back to work when my phone lit up with a text from Tawnie. My vampiric roommate could not be more different but we ended up becoming best friends. She was dark and moody while I was bright and cheery. Opposites attract I guess.

T: Sorry girl, I can't meet you later. My chem project is kicking my ass.

A: Don't worry hun, still studying myself

T: Alright. We're still on for movies later though right?

A: Duh!

T: Good lol You still at the cafe?

A: Yeah, I'll probably be here for a while.

T: Could you bring me a bloody macchiato later? I'm desperate! 😩

A: 🤮 Fine, only cuz I love you

T: You're the best!

A: Later T

Fucking gross... I don't know how she can drink those things. But then again, she is a vamp.

I hit next on my playlist, letting the music lull me back into my studying.

Marxian

Wisteria, my stomping ground for 2 years now. I was never too worried about college honestly. Wisteria is just family tradition, and the football program is the best around. I got a full scholarship after a scout saw me win the homecoming game my junior year of high school. Not that I needed it. My dad would have paid for me to go here anyway. My two older brothers where legends here, one becoming a top ceo and the other moving on the play professional football. Pressure was on to keep up our pack's reputation.

The rain began falling as we were finishing up practice. It felt good after working hard on our plays. This year, the team was doing well, winning most of our games and headed to the finals after break. I'm quarterback, naturally. It's the alpha spot, the title my father had been grooming me for my whole life. Werewolves rely on our leadership, alphas are born into alpha families, carrying on that leadership to their own pack when they come of age. My grandfathers were alphas, my father is alpha, my older brothers grew to be alphas, and so I will follow in their footsteps.  When I graduate, I'll be appointed my pack, most likely made up of the betas I grew up with. That's fine by me. I was born to lead.